2D animated game on the web

Started by
1 comment, last by trasseltass 15 years, 5 months ago
Hi! I have listed some misc. basic requirements on a game I want to make: + The game shall be a fast-paced 2D platform game (may include many sprite animations on screen at the same time) + The game shall consist of a client side and a server side + The game client shall "be able to be run through a webbrowser", preferrably by being downloaded on-the-fly from a server/httpserver running on either a Linux or Windows Server system + The game client shall be able to connect to a separate game server, from which it shall be able download some game content and also allow for multiple players to communicate (not massive though). + The game client shall be able to run on as many systems and browsers as possible (both Linux and Windows and using both Firefox, IE..) My question is, what libraries and what language(s) would you recommend to proceed with the game client? My first thought has been Java/Java applets, but I also know there's stuff like Shockwave flash and ActiveX if you want to write your own plugin? The old rumour I heard about Java applets is that they are known to be quite "slow" and maybe not suited for more advanced 2d games.. I have no requirements on the costs of the development tools at the moment, but free is ofc nice. Haven't decided on open source or not yet. Sorry that the requirements are poorly written (on-the-fly). ;)
Advertisement
Base your system requirements on your game design, don't try to fit a design to a set of requirements.

As to what language and technologies you need, look at what you already know and can use.

Having said that, Java or flash would probably best fit your requirements. you would have to try out both systems yourself to decide what is most suitable for you. Try creating something small in each and see what you like.

Quote:Original post by OldProgie2
Base your system requirements on your game design, don't try to fit a design to a set of requirements.

As to what language and technologies you need, look at what you already know and can use.

Having said that, Java or flash would probably best fit your requirements. you would have to try out both systems yourself to decide what is most suitable for you. Try creating something small in each and see what you like.

Choice of language and usage of different technologies is not a problem. I'm familiar with many libraries and languages, but I've never tried developing anything that's run from a web-browser (except for some minor Java applets).

I've looked some more into flash and java, and java seems fully sufficient for the game client - So it's been decided. :) The main concerns I had with flash was the networking part (couldn't find any useful info on if it was possible to do customize networking). With Java I couldn't find a way to do quick 2D rendering (page flippin, blitting, etc).

But, eventually I found solutions to both, and so I decided to go with Java because I'm more familiar with that. :)

Thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement