general purpose game dev book

Started by
3 comments, last by jpetrie 15 years, 5 months ago
I am focusing on 2d game development. I need to know of some good general purpose books that teach things such as collision detection velocity how to make a character's "jump" realistic Those are some of the things I am looking for but amazon has so books to choose from and not knowing the actual contents I figured some people here may know of some good books.
Advertisement
First you will need to decide on a language, I'm fairly sure there's an FAQ for it here somewhere, once you have a language, then people will be able to give you a better answer to your question that is more relevant to what you want to do.
I don't really feel the language is important as the topics will apply well to any language you use.

I am well versed in a few languages but have not made games before I have made quite a few applications though.

I just feel the things I asked about are "generic"
I hope that I did not sound rude in my reply. I guess what I would be looking for is a good book with pseudocode more less and not tied to a specific language,

Thanks
You'll want to look for math books then. Most books dedicated to game development elect to write their examples in a specific language, to ensure consistency.

Collision detection and the vector math behind how things like velocities are represented are well-covered by math and physics books: The Geometry Toolbox, Real-Time Collisions Detection, Essential Math for Games and Interactive Applications, et cetera.

Things like realistic "jumps" are not -- there are hundreds of ways to accomplish this and most are extremely context sensitive. Some of the Game Gems books discuss smaller-scope issues like this, but often they're not suitable for beginners in general. Mostly these are worked out by feel in your own implementations.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement