USB Pens & Recycle Bins

Started by
12 comments, last by Way Walker 15 years, 5 months ago
Quote:Original post by Extrarius
Quote:Original post by nerd_boy
[...]A bit of Googling and whatnot reveals that you'll also need to have Hide protected operating system files (recommended) unchecked, in addition to the regular showing hidden files, to have Windows Explorer display the RECYCLER folder(which seems to have the attributes of both system and hidden.)
Yes, which is what I meant by the 'and system files' part. I checked using explorer, the command line, and a custom file list utility, and all show the same thing - none of my flash drives, memory cards, etc have a recycle bin folder or anything that looks like it might possibly be related. The only system files on the drives are things that were copied from elsewhere (an occasional desktop.ini, the thumbnail database, etc)

I don't remember ever seeing a recycle bin folder on flash drives under Windows either, even with show hidden folders/protected operating system files etc, either. It does show up mounted from linux though.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by load_bitmap_file
Quote:Original post by Extrarius
Quote:Original post by nerd_boy
[...]A bit of Googling and whatnot reveals that you'll also need to have Hide protected operating system files (recommended) unchecked, in addition to the regular showing hidden files, to have Windows Explorer display the RECYCLER folder(which seems to have the attributes of both system and hidden.)
Yes, which is what I meant by the 'and system files' part. I checked using explorer, the command line, and a custom file list utility, and all show the same thing - none of my flash drives, memory cards, etc have a recycle bin folder or anything that looks like it might possibly be related. The only system files on the drives are things that were copied from elsewhere (an occasional desktop.ini, the thumbnail database, etc)

I don't remember ever seeing a recycle bin folder on flash drives under Windows either, even with show hidden folders/protected operating system files etc, either. It does show up mounted from linux though.

Wait, it doesn't show up in Windows, but the flash drive's recycle bin does show up in Linux? Weird.
I've never actually noticed such a folder either, and I don't think this is quite what you're asking about, but holding shift whilst pressing delete will permanently delete your files rather than placing them in a recycle bin if that helps at all.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Quote:Original post by Benjamin Heath
Quote:Original post by load_bitmap_file

Wait, it doesn't show up in Windows, but the flash drive's recycle bin does show up in Linux? Weird.

Makes sense to me since I've seen the reverse. When I mount my flash drive on a Windows machine it has a .Trash folder. I don't see this in Linux which hides files starting with '.' but it shows up in Windows which uses other means to decide which files to hide.

Does Windows only create this RECYCLER folder when you actually send something to the recycle bin from the USB drive? Because I haven't noticed it in Linux, but I may have only used shit-delete to delete files from Windows. Or maybe I simply haven't noticed it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement