Sign in to follow this  
RobMaddison

Getting different types into a vertex shader

Hello everyone I have a vertex buffer that contains floats, but I don't need all that precision - WORD types would suffice, so I'm trying to reduce my buffer by half by using WORDs instead of floats. My current shader works pretty well, by splicing together x and z coordinates from one vertex buffer and the y coordinate from the next buffer. If I switch the y buffer content to WORDs, and leave my shader as is, I get very unexpected results (lots of random heights). Does anyone know if it's possible for a buffer of WORDs to be passed to the vertex shader (to be cast to floats when they get there)? The [simplified] input into my shader is:
V_to_P TerrainLayerVS(float3 positionXZ : POSITION, float3 positionY)
and my vertex declaration looks like this:
{0, 0, D3DDECLTYPE_FLOAT3, D3DDECLMETHOD_DEFAULT, D3DDECLUSAGE_POSITION, 0},
{1, 0, D3DDECLTYPE_FLOAT1, D3DDECLMETHOD_DEFAULT, D3DDECLUSAGE_TEXCOORD, 0},
It's not a major issue if I can't, but it would save a fair amount of memory. Thanks

This line says "I have 3 floats for position":
So if you have WORDs, or types other than floats, that won't work. You'll probably want to use D3DDECLTYPE_SHORT4, and have 4 WORDs for position. Or something similar.

I changed it to this:

{1, 0, D3DDECLTYPE_SHORT2, D3DDECLMETHOD_DEFAULT, D3DDECLUSAGE_TEXCOORD, 0},

And it worked straight away - 16mb saved in 2 seconds. I'll do it for the other buffer too.

Thanks for the quick answer - bumped your rating.

Quote:
Original post by RobMaddison
I changed it to this:

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

And it worked straight away - 16mb saved in 2 seconds. I'll do it for the other buffer too.

Thanks for the quick answer - bumped your rating.
I'm still not sure what you're doing here - that's reading 3 floats from the first stream for position, and two shorts from the second stream for texture coordinates - is that what you want? I'm not sure why it works...

Yes that's right. The first buffer contains floats which represent x, y and z - except the y is zero. There is only one of these buffers which represents a terrain patch (which is translated for each patch, etc).

The second buffer contains heights as WORD values. When I set the VertexStream for this one, I specify sizeof(WORD) which in the vertex shader expands to SHORT, SHORT, 0, 0 (the second short is zero).