vector graphics? and acceleration?

Started by
4 comments, last by Ravyne 15 years, 5 months ago
A friend asked and i knew nothing of it. Is there a way to draw vector graphics? and is it HW accelerated?
<SkilletAudio> Your framerate proves your lack of manhood
Advertisement
If by vector you mean lines, & solid shapes (polygons) - then yes
Those are are the fundamentals of all hardware acceleration apis

Your options are the usuals - OpenGL and Direct3D

OpenGL immediate mode rendering (glBegin ... glEnd) is probably the simplest way to learn, before, & if, you wish to step into deeper waters

Don't let the "3D" bit scare you.. that really make no difference (it's just an extra bit of math, afterall)
The apis are just as effective for doing "2D" acceleration
_______________________________ ________ _____ ___ __ _`By offloading cognitive load to the computer, programmers are able to design more elegant systems' - Unununium OS regarding Python
Quote:Original post by AcidZombie24
Is there a way to draw vector graphics?

Yes. Vector graphics refers to images comprised of mathematically defined figures - lines, gradients, shapes, etc. These are the sorts of images created by Adobe Illustrator or Inkscape.

Quote:and is it HW accelerated?

It depends. It's possible to employ hardware acceleration to speed the computation of the formulas, yes, but most vector drawing applications don't, as yet. I'm pretty certain that Illustrator CS4 does, though.
OpenGL only allows rendering of segments and polygons, I think.
If you need to render something else (like a circle), you'll have to convert it to these.
There are a few techniques for doing this. The most recent paper is Random-Access Rendering of General Vector Graphics. It also contains references to earlier works if you are interested in looking at them.
I know there is an implimentation of OpenVG which runs on top of openGL, its called AmanithVG -- Though it seems that they stopped updating their website (http://www.amanith.org) in 2006.

There may be other implementations which are hardware accelerated.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement