Sign in to follow this  
blackvans1234

3ds max beginner

so i've been pondering where i should go in the whole game art aspect of video game design, and i've decided to try to learn 3ds max, and hopefully become a modeller. What do you think I should do, watch as many random tutorials that i can or should i look up specifically modelling tutorials? where should i start? Thanks for any help

That is a random question.
So here's a random answer:
Start with modelling, then lighting, materials, texturing, animation.
Each of these topics is more complex than it seems at first glance, guaranteed.

how could i make this question less random?
lol

i know it's much more complicated then just saying 'modelling'
i just dont know which direction i should take considering theres so many options and specialties.
That being said, do you have any suggestions as to where i should start?

You're right, there are a lot of directions you can go to specialize with. Before specializing you need to understand the basics first, however. You know, the whole you need to be able to walk before you can run sort of thing.

Personally, I have found following along with video tutorials to be a lot easier than book or random tutorials on the net. Kurv Studios recently released VFX Cast, which is a free tutorial sharing service for all things visual effects related. simplymax.com and 3DBuzz.com also have some free and paid learning tutorials. I've used 3dbuzz videos for learning Unreal Tech and I personally think they're great.

3dtotal.com has some great tutorials in their freebies section, if you're interested in organic modeling (animals, people, aliens, anything without hard edges) the Joan of Arc tutorial is especially helpful.

Don't limit yourself to just Max material, though. Outside of learning the interface, most 3d modeling technique is applicable in any tool. I work in Blender and consistently reference material designed in Silo, Max, Rhino, etc.

Quote:
Original post by blackvans1234
how could i make this question less random?
lol

i know it's much more complicated then just saying 'modelling'
i just dont know which direction i should take considering theres so many options and specialties.
That being said, do you have any suggestions as to where i should start?

What I mean is that you need a good base for about anything. Say, you'd really like to have your model done very well when it comes to lighting, rigging and animating. This takes a lot of work and practice... for example just to make a model so it smoothes and skins well.
You want to be a good modeller so start with basics like try to model something that you have on your desk that has some complexity in it. Hopefully you will be working with someone who might be, among other things, animating your model. If I was such a person, I'd really like to be given something that works, not something that requires me to return it to author for fixing or fixing it myself.

I am 10+ years working in max, and have seen many people starting, and many quitting or not coming to far. From this experience and through watching many of them, the furthest have come the ones that don't like tutorials. So my advice is to take a MAX beginner book, printed not downloaded, a thick one, and read it first, try some things, and see how it works. After you get into logic of max, you will never need to follow tutorials, just read them and collect what you don't know.