Sign in to follow this  
JDCAce

Image/Sprite Creation

Hello, everyone. I'm new to the site as well as to game development. I was curious as to how I create my own sprites, such as a spaceship for a shooting game I would like to make. I've tried using Paint in the past, but Paint saves the whitespace around the image as part of the image. Is there a free tool out there that allows me to draw without worrying about the surrounding whitespace?

Depending on what you use to program, your code could set one of the colors to be transparent, so as long as you pick a background color you won't use you will be fine.

Infraview lets you select a transparent color when you save a .bmp as .png or .gif.

Paint.NET lets you draw with layers and with the background being transparent.

Quote:
Is there a free tool out there that allows me to draw without worrying about the surrounding whitespace?

If I can assume that your objective is to make a 2D game using 2D sprites, then I would say that you should research color keying. Basically, color keying is forcing a certain color -- in your example: "whitespace" -- to be translucent. Many APIs allow seamless color keying use. SDL, for example, uses the function: SDL_SetColorKey.