Quake 2 Box map!

Started by
9 comments, last by Renegadeandy 15 years, 5 months ago
Hi Guys! I am a developer currently messing around with the Java port of Quake 2 - jake2. I need to do some testing on a bot i am writing and need to test it on a large box map like this : http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/4769/testtw6.jpg (I appreciate this is not quake2 :S!). I have tried countless tools to create the map myself such as quark, qeradient worldcraft etc etc etc but being a very very very unexperianced map creator for any game im obviously not quite doing something write as the maps just wont load. I know custom maps work because other ones work with the java port! If somebody could point me towards a large very very simlpe box map, or even better perhaps throw one together for me - in bsp format using the bog standard quake2 textures I would be in eternal debt to them. This has cost me so much time and am not sure what else to try! Thanks in advance guys, Andy
Advertisement
Are you compiling your maps before trying to use them?
Are you sure there aren't any compile errors while compiling?
Are they any leaks that need fixing?
Do you have at least one entity inside the map?

Off the top of my head, most map editors I've worked with also require a player/actor spawn point to be placed before it will compile.

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

im pretty sure there are no leaks and that there s a spawn point because its ont of the entities in the list....

maybe you could take a look?

http://www.novo.game-host.org/newmap.bsp
There's definitely a player start point in there, so that shouldn't be the problem. Doesn't Jake give you any kind of warning when it fails to load your map? Also, did you ask around in the Jake community already? Perhaps there are known issues with certain things or perhaps you made a typical beginners mistake.
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
jake community is nearly all german and doesnt really exist

As for error message - its a source code crash, but i believe its due to a badly made map for some reason as other custom maps work just fine!

Ahhhh! Dont know what to do!
Hmm, sounds tricky. Does your map work in Quake 2 itself then?
I cannot find a copy of quake 2 by itself wghich runs on my compute.r All the ones i download just say : couldnt find pics/colourmap.pcx and when i put it there, it crashes on loading quake2.exe!
Finally got it.

Played around with quark for ages and realised you need 3 stages of compilation:

Create bsp file.

Create visibility bit for bsp file.

Create the rad bit for the 2 previous secitons which ties it all together! Works a treat!

Now.

I dont know if anybody is familiar with quake 2 its source or not etc ... however I was wondering of you think there is anyway to retrieve the maps dimensions , a breif browse of the net and the source tells me no , but this seems odd - there must be a way?

Can anybody see one?
Quote:Original post by Renegadeandy
Played around with quark for ages and realised you need 3 stages of compilation:

Create bsp file.

Create visibility bit for bsp file.

Create the rad bit for the 2 previous secitons which ties it all together! Works a treat!

Heh, funny. I've created levels for Half-Life (which is somewhat based on Quake) so the multi-stage compiling model makes a lot of sense to me (HL uses 4 stages: bsp, csg, vis and rad (radiosity, e.g. lighting)). This is not Quark-specific, but game-specific. Apparently, Quake 2 doesn't like maps without vis data. Half-Life doesn't care whether a map has vis and rad data or not, but it renders maps much less efficiently without it.

Quote:I dont know if anybody is familiar with quake 2 its source or not etc ... however I was wondering of you think there is anyway to retrieve the maps dimensions , a breif browse of the net and the source tells me no , but this seems odd - there must be a way?

You'll probably have to process the geometry to determine it's minimum bounding box. That is, check all vertices and keep track of the highest and lowest value along all 3 axis.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement