directX10 possible on XP?

Started by
18 comments, last by CmpDev 15 years, 4 months ago
hellou! i'm looking for an answer of someone who had already tried this. is possible to use DirectX10 on Win XP? more preciselly, i'm tring to develop the LOD terrain rendering technique of clipmaps (from Hoppe) on an GeForce 8600. I think that it would be useful the use of the new geometry shader of the Shader Model 4.0 that is in DirectX10. Or is there a version of DirectX9 that has it to use in XP? thanks a lot ain advance for answers, Lucas.
Advertisement
Quote:
is possible to use DirectX10 on Win XP?

No.
Quote:Original post by lucaskeeper
more preciselly, i'm tring to develop the LOD terrain rendering technique of clipmaps (from Hoppe) on an GeForce 8600. I think that it would be useful the use of the new geometry shader of the Shader Model 4.0 that is in DirectX10.

Your out of luck with DirectX unless you upgrade to Vista. However, you can take advantage of geometry shaders on XP with OpenGL. Venders have released extensions to allow OpenGL to take advantage of the new shader model. For instance, NVidia has released the EXT_geometry_shader4 extension to add support for thier shader 4 cards.

Could be worth checking out if you want to learn geometry shaders without forking over cash for an copy of Vista.

Quote:Original post by Billr17
Could be worth checking out if you want to learn geometry shaders without forking over cash for an copy of Vista.

Of course, you'll still need to fork out cash for a DX10-level graphics card (Geforce 8xxx).

Edit: though you've already done that I see... nothin' to see here :-)
Quote:Original post by jpetrie
Quote:

No.
To expand on that a little, the way D3D interfaces with the driver has changed significantly, making using D3D10 on pre-Vista machines impossible. I don't know of any way to access D3D10 functionality on D3D9, I doubt there is such a way.
thanks to all for your replies!

Lucas.
Quote:Original post by lucaskeeper
more preciselly, i'm tring to develop the LOD terrain rendering technique of clipmaps (from Hoppe) on an GeForce 8600. I think that it would be useful the use of the new geometry shader of the Shader Model 4.0 that is in DirectX10.
Note that Clipmapping does not require geometry shaders, as it was first implemented under DX9, and variations on the technique have even been implemented on DX7-class hardware.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Well this is not the full trouth you guys.

OpenGl offers shader model 4 on xp.

But even better there is Wine. The emulator for windows on other systems. It also runs on windows and already started supporting directx10 ;)
My Blog - http://www.freakybytes.org
Quote:Original post by Evil Steve
Quote:Original post by jpetrie
Quote:

No.
To expand on that a little, the way D3D interfaces with the driver has changed significantly, making using D3D10 on pre-Vista machines impossible. I don't know of any way to access D3D10 functionality on D3D9, I doubt there is such a way.

No there isn't any way to access the functionality in D3D9 , however the driver model change is mostly a convenient excuse, It is fully possible for Microsoft to create a version of DX10 for Windows XP if they wanted to just like they did with DX9 for Vista.
They won't do it though for exactly the same reason that they never ported DX9 to Windows9x.

Quote:Original post by DrHalan

But even better there is Wine. The emulator for windows on other systems. It also runs on windows and already started supporting directx10 ;)

Thats a bit of a stretch isn't it ?

They've implemented stubs for DX10, its not anywhere near supported yet :)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Quote:Original post by DrHalan

Yes, but OpenGL doesn't have the whole rewrite that D3D10 does.

Quote:Original post by SimonForsman
No there isn't any way to access the functionality in D3D9 , however the driver model change is mostly a convenient excuse, It is fully possible for Microsoft to create a version of DX10 for Windows XP if they wanted to just like they did with DX9 for Vista.
They won't do it though for exactly the same reason that they never ported DX9 to Windows9x.
As far as I'm aware, DX9 works just fine on Win9x? Admittedly, I haven't tried it.
The driver stack has been rewritten; various members of the DirectX team have said that it's not possible to get DX10 running on XP, if it was there'd be no reason not to do it - XP has a huge consumer base, and almost nobody will upgrade to Vista just for DX10.
It may be a convenient excuse, but it's also likely to be the truth.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement