• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Cromulent

Best book for moving from C to C++?

This topic is 3602 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm planning on spending some time picking up C++. I can already program in C, what is the best book to get me up to speed quickly? I think I need one which takes the time to run me through OOP as I have no real experience using it other than web projects using PHP 5 (which normally ends up being procedural anyway, rightly or wrongly). Any suggestions appreciated :).

Advertisement
The C++ Standard Library by Josuttis.

Hopefully that will be sufficient for you to see that the transition from C to C++ is not really a transition. That C is (mostly) valid C++ is only going to be a hindrance to you. As if learning C++ didn't have enough hindrances...

You can check out Thinking in C++, which is freely available in the link my sig.

However, if you are willing to spend money on a book (and from your post I assume you are), I would recommend getting Accelerated C++. It is perhaps the only introductory book that teaches modern usage of C++ from the very beginning, and it uses an approach that allows you to write interesting C++ programs very early. Read the reviews on Amazon for further convincing.

Quote:
Original post by Cromulent
I'm planning on spending some time picking up C++. I can already program in C, what is the best book to get me up to speed quickly?

Hm, tough one. To write beautiful C++, you have to forget most of your C knowledge. These are some things you have to do in C, but shouldn't do in C++:

- declare all variables before the first statement
- manually allocate and delete memory and have pointers all over the place
- pass pointers by value
- use arrays as your primary container
- use the preprocessor to emulate generics

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!