Best book for moving from C to C++?

Started by
5 comments, last by DevFred 15 years, 5 months ago
I'm planning on spending some time picking up C++. I can already program in C, what is the best book to get me up to speed quickly? I think I need one which takes the time to run me through OOP as I have no real experience using it other than web projects using PHP 5 (which normally ends up being procedural anyway, rightly or wrongly). Any suggestions appreciated :).
Advertisement
The C++ Standard Library by Josuttis.

Hopefully that will be sufficient for you to see that the transition from C to C++ is not really a transition. That C is (mostly) valid C++ is only going to be a hindrance to you. As if learning C++ didn't have enough hindrances...
Maybe check out Stroustrup's The C++ Programming Language.
Thinking In C++ is free on the net.
You can check out Thinking in C++, which is freely available in the link my sig.

However, if you are willing to spend money on a book (and from your post I assume you are), I would recommend getting Accelerated C++. It is perhaps the only introductory book that teaches modern usage of C++ from the very beginning, and it uses an approach that allows you to write interesting C++ programs very early. Read the reviews on Amazon for further convincing.
Cheers guys. I'll look at that free book and also check out the other books on Amazon.
Quote:Original post by Cromulent
I'm planning on spending some time picking up C++. I can already program in C, what is the best book to get me up to speed quickly?

Hm, tough one. To write beautiful C++, you have to forget most of your C knowledge. These are some things you have to do in C, but shouldn't do in C++:

- declare all variables before the first statement
- manually allocate and delete memory and have pointers all over the place
- pass pointers by value
- use arrays as your primary container
- use the preprocessor to emulate generics

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement