Texture set

Started by
11 comments, last by Kwizatz 15 years, 5 months ago
What is the best size of texture set? my game is gonna use mass 64x64 textures for terrain. ill store them in a 1024x1024 texture (4096 texture in one). is 1024x1024 reasonable ? and, how do we make a part of texture repeat over a polygon, its just gonna show the others texture included in the set.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by UnIXbLueStar
how do we make a part of texture repeat over a polygon

See here under the section "Repeating and Clamping Textures".
I think he wanted information about a "Texture Atlas", which includes having many images in a single texture so it doesn't involve that much texture switching. What he is asking for is, how can you get one of those images tiled without the entire atlas tiling on a surface.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pingux/ <-- you know you wanna see my 2D Engine which supports DirectX and OpenGL or insert your renderer here :)
Quote:Original post by PinguinDude
I think he wanted information about a "Texture Atlas", which includes having many images in a single texture so it doesn't involve that much texture switching. What he is asking for is, how can you get one of those images tiled without the entire atlas tiling on a surface.

You're right, I should have read his post more carefully.

In that case, take a look at this and this article. It might not be exactly what you want, but it might help you get some ideas.
No that is not quite it either, imagine you have a building, it has brick.png and concrete.png and door.png. In this case, he wants all of those textures to be loaded up in 1 big texture. The issue is that, brick.png needs to be repeated over a certain wall, for example 5 times instead of stretched over the wall.

Doing this, with normal UV coordinates will end up in the entire texture atlas being repeat.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pingux/ <-- you know you wanna see my 2D Engine which supports DirectX and OpenGL or insert your renderer here :)
No that is not quite it either, imagine you have a building, it has brick.png and concrete.png and door.png. In this case, he wants all of those textures to be loaded up in 1 big texture. The issue is that, brick.png needs to be repeated over a certain wall, for example 5 times instead of stretched over the wall.

Doing this, with normal UV coordinates will end up in the entire texture atlas being repeat.

Just a quick thought (Have not fleshed out)
Options -
1. Repeat Brick.png manaully yourself in the atlas
2. Do not put repeating textures in the atlas
3. Create a repeating Atlas for all repeating textures

Quote:Original post by Andrew Kabakwu

Just a quick thought (Have not fleshed out)
Options -
1. Repeat Brick.png manaully yourself in the atlas
2. Do not put repeating textures in the atlas
3. Create a repeating Atlas for all repeating textures

that would kill the purpose of why im doing it.
im trying to save bindtexture calls.
if i have to draw more vertex its not any better.
if i have to make more atlas either.
and even less if i have to cut it from the atlas and make a new one.

1024x1024 is fairly reasonable for today's hardware.

I don't think repeating the texture is possible if you're sticking to the fixed pipeline, you could do it with a fragment/pixel shader though.
Quote:Original post by Kwizatz
1024x1024 is fairly reasonable for today's hardware.

I don't think repeating the texture is possible if you're sticking to the fixed pipeline, you could do it with a fragment/pixel shader though.

any idea of the best technique to put texture on a terrain ?
im making a terrain editor and the terrain is a big plane that can split when more detail needed. Look like this :

28784745tx9.jpg

each quad of the terrain is represented by a square.

Quote:Original post by UnIXbLueStar
any idea of the best technique to put texture on a terrain ?

Maybe this chapter of GPU Gems 2 can help you out.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement