• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Seoushi

OpenGL vista performance woes

This topic is 3600 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I started work on a terrain engine on OS X and performance was great now I'm compiling and running it on vista and it seems that it's falling back to software mode. Under OS X I would hit v-sync ~60fps and under vista I'm getting 2-3fps. I'm using GLee to expose and test for extensions. The terrain at the moment is a very simple 257x257 heightmap split into 5x5 vertex patches calculating lod every frame. I have one vbo to store all the vertices and then a vbo per patch which streams all the indices per frame. What makes me believe opengl is falling back to software mode is the low fps and all four of my cores are 30%-50% usage where before starting the application they are all hovering around 1%-2%. I realize that without giving out the code it might be hard to gauge what is causing this issue but I'll like to hear some thoughts on the matter before I release it (not quite release ready :) ). Here are the specs for the two computers. Windows PC intel Q6600 (quad core 2.4ghz) 4gb ram geforce 8800 GT 512mb windows vista ultimate x64 Mac Pro 2x 2.0ghz Xeon Dual Cores 2gb ram ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512mb Mac OS X 10.5 (leopard) Some things I have tried in vista is to disable dual monitors and put the card into single display performance mode in the nVidia control panel. Disable Aero and Desktop Windows Manager Session Manager. Update my drivers. For the record GLee does report that GLEE_ARB_vertex_buffer_object is supported. How I can tell for sure if opengl is falling back to software mode or not? Is there some sort of gpu usage monitor that I can use to gauge performance?

Advertisement
The image is only use for getting the heights of the verts, it is not loaded into opengl and or rendered. I've zipped the files and included the visual studio 2008 project and the required libs to build.

http://www.seoushi.com/files/prototype%20engine.7z

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!