Puzzle fight help

Started by
2 comments, last by Kudgel 15 years, 5 months ago
Hello, I am designing a game which can be compared to Zelda in many ways and I'm having a hard time with my first "puzzle fight" section. After the introduction, where our hero is given a medallion by a strange divinity and a mission to go meet a character in a far away city, he must travel back to the port. He's a fisherman, so he is on a tiny boat with two wooden paddles, some lures (basically worms) and his fishing rod. The divinity event, which I summarized, took place in what appeared to be another dimension and the hero is back on the boat, only it's now later in the day (before event = sunset, now = dark). Only problem, when night time comes, some pretty nasty predator fishes called Snarks search for food, and the character wasn't ready for this at all since he usually comes back before the sun has gone behind mountains. Snarks are a mix of snakes and sharks who do not attack humans unless they are really hungry. Well, you guessed it, one alpha Snark will try his luck on poor Mr. Hero. Thing is, I have no clue how to save him! I thought he could use the paddles but that wouldn't hurt the monster. Swimming is no option, and lures will only drive away the Snark for a couple seconds. Only the fishing rod remains, but that isn't a particularly good weapon. I thought the medallion could sort of react to the monster being there but there's a logic problem with that : later in the game, you discover how the divinity tricked you into killing an important character and the medallion is some kind of leash. The only "fix" I found was to include a harpoon in the boat that would have been left there by the hero beforehand, you know - just in case. My problem with that scenario is how similar a situation it is to a Resident Evil 4 early boss. Any input will be greatly appreciated!
I've got balls of steel - Duke
Advertisement
My first thought here, reading this, was you are over thinking it. Borrowing a situation from another recent game isn't that bad. Many players that have player it will probably not notice it and many player that play your game may not have player the game you borrowed the situation from. Also keep in mind that if you did finish your game and players were playing it, it would be many months from now and the games you borrow from will no longer be very recent.

So.... go ahead and leave a harpoon in the boat. Seems to be perfectly reasonable in waters so dangerous after dark.

I imagine the situation to be a fight to drive off the snark before it capsizes the boat and eats me. Most aggressive fish don't jump out of the water, if it did though, using the oar like a bat should be very effective.
I agree. It makes sense that a fisherman would take a harpoon with him especially if that's his primary profession. I might keep the harpoon in the boat at the beginning and if the player examines it say something like, "I started carrying a harpoon ever since that one big fish snapped the line and got away. It could've fed us for a week."

The only other things I could think of would be to make it a whale sized snark, have it swallow the fisherman whole, and the the player has to set fire to the boat to escape. Or perhaps some creature comes by to help. But I think those things are little harder for a player to swallow than a fisherman carrying a harpoon.
Great input, thanks a lot.
I've got balls of steel - Duke

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement