Sign in to follow this  
d000hg

Guessing hardware requirements

Can anyone advise me a good minimum spec for nVidia/ATI cards to have full/good SM3.0/DX9 support? I'm looking to tell someone "we need series X or higher", or something similarly simple. I am thinking any card from the last year or 2 will do everything except the most complex functionality, which I don't need, but I need to specify something for documentation. I also need to know which Macs come with similar capabilities. I don't know anything about Macs except that the new range of MacBooks apparently have quite good GPUs... can anyone suggest which laptops/desktops would be suitable? I don't even know how they are named, i.e. how you differentiate a new Macbook to the previous generation of MacBooks. Not sure if this is the right forum... mod, please move where you think best.

On the MacBook front, it seems the main question is if the Intel GMA X3100 GPU can cut it for 3D graphics. I believe the new MacBook and MacBook Pro are both going to be pretty powerful.

On the Mac front, I guess an iMac is the 'standard desktop' range, based on the price of a Mac Pro! I reckon the ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO is about the minimum GPU to be decent? By decent I don't mean "plays Farcry 2" but "can render 100-200K polys without shadows but with good shader support".

A good tactics is to check out VALVE's hardware summary. It gives you a rough idea what people currently use out there. You can then remove many cards from your spec list. A good strategy is to support certain chipsets and drop others. As an example: although I love S3's new cards, you might drop them because no one in your target group are using them. The same is true for many of the INTEL integrated graphics.