• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
hury

OpenGL Better 3D Feeling

This topic is 3627 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, i am redrawing the Desktop in OpenGL in a Cube: www.captured-dreams.de/temp/screen.jpg For the textures of the Icons I read the icon data from each file. It works, but somehow the Files dont really look like 3-D. Anyone any ideas, how to make them feel more 3d? I tried converting them to spheres, but the standart icon textures do not really work as sphere textures. It looks horrible then.

Advertisement
Well, I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish. Obviously there is no algorithm to magically 3dify 2d images. You could try putting the icons into translucent 3d spheres for some kind of 3d effect.

Edit: Unfortunately I don't have a 3d program at hand to show you what I mean. Xeile described it pretty well, even though post-processing the icon already takes it one step further than my original suggestion. :)

[Edited by - kloffy on November 12, 2008 4:42:32 PM]

Hi,

yeah, its absolutely clear, that there is no algorithm, i´m just searching for ideas what one could do here.

I´m note sure what you mean with >> You could try putting the icons into translucent 3d spheres for some kind of 3d effect. <<. Could you explain? Why should this get a 3d effect?

I must say I found Kloffy's idea pretty neat. Just create a sort of translucent marble with the icon as inner stuff/material. I don't know how you would call it in english, but I mean the vainy streamlike stuff within the average marble.

Post-process the icon with some graphical formula :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!