Torquescript and the weight it bears

Started by
1 comment, last by Aldacron 15 years, 4 months ago
I was wondering what people thought about Torques scripting language, and if anyone used the engine(in any of its forms) on here. I think its nice since its similar to C++, but was wondering how it fared against other engine scripts like unrealScript? And of the engine's co-op with the language itself.
Advertisement
no torque fans out there....what a shame
Quote:Original post by Jestersbong
I think its nice since its similar to C++, but was wondering how it fared against other engine scripts like unrealScript?

My only gripe with TorqueScript is all of the $ and % symbols. Ugly. Other than that I'm not sure what sort of comparison you're looking for. Most custom engine scripting languages are tightly integrated into the engine they were created for, meaning that aside from syntax there's very little to compare. And I don't see the point, really. Most features for these languages either derive from the host engine or are designed to complement the engine architecture. Could you be a bit more specific in what you're looking for?

Quote:And of the engine's co-op with the language itself.

They go hand-in-hand. The entire public Torque API is exposed to TorqueScript, so you can do anything in script that you can do in C++. Someone even created a TorqueScript editor with TorqueScript a few years back. Many Torque users implement game features in script first and only move them to C++ if performance dictates it.

Quote:no torque fans out there....what a shame

My impression is that most Torque 'fans' live on the GG forums or with their heads buried in their projects.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement