• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
sweetdaddy

gluCylinder?

This topic is 3537 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello I am brand new to opengl. I am trying to draw an upright cylinder to make it look like a cup. It seems to draw as though I were looking down the top of the cylinder. I have tried changing the rotation angle but nothing changes. I can't even move the cup around. I have an idea of how most of this work but not total comprehension. Thank you! This is what I have: glTranslatef(0.0f,0.0f,-6.0f); glBegin(GL_QUADS); GLUquadric *quadric = gluNewQuadric(); glPushMatrix(); //save first position //Draw the cylinder glTranslatef(0.0f, -1.0f, 0.0f); glPushMatrix(); glRotatef(45.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f, 0.f); //cylinder rotation glTranslatef(-1.5f,0.0f,0.0f); glRotatef(90.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f); gluCylinder(quadric, 1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f, 40, 40); glPopMatrix(); glEnd();

Advertisement
OpenGL draws the cylinder about the Z direction for the tip, so in your rotations and translations your not doing anything with the Z axis. Try rotating about the Z axis by doing glRotate(degree (whatever you want), dx , dy, dz(change to 1));

Also double check your calls with the rotation and translation because normally the convention when doing a translation and rotation is this:

glTranslate(dx, dy, dz);
glRotate(angle, dx, dy, dz);
glTranslate(-dx, -dy, -dz);
/* object code */

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!