Windows CE

Started by
7 comments, last by Ted_Striker 15 years, 4 months ago
Hello, Ive been out of the loop for alittle while now but always lurked in the shadows. Recently a company which is the only game developer in Cleveland intervied me for a developer position. They said my industry experiance was helpful but they wernt taking on anyone without Windows CE experiance. So now im thinking I should get back into programming and learn windows CE. I got some questions... Can I use my old 2003 version of Visual Studio Enterprise Arcitect? It might have a mobile dev kit bundled with it Ill have to find the DVD. Will I need a pocket pc to do anything? I can find books easy enough but if anyone could recommened one it whould be helpful. What other software will I need to do this. I worked in the game industry briefly as a tool programmer then worked for an insurance company but really know next to nothing about mobile development.
Advertisement
If .NET is an option, then you can use Visual Studio .NET to develop applications. You won't need anything else. Depending on your VS package you may or may not have the Compact Framework development tools. I think they ship with pro versions and up. You'll need to check before you upgrade.
Yeah they were using .net, if indeed it ships with pro versions and up then I probably have it. I know alot of .net but I think Windows CE has a different API then win32 and I think thats what they really wanted.
Quote:Original post by Ted_Striker
Yeah they were using .net, if indeed it ships with pro versions and up then I probably have it. I know alot of .net but I think Windows CE has a different API then win32 and I think thats what they really wanted.

The Compact Framework is for the most part identical to the standard .NET framework. There are some differences and omissions, but mostly the same.
Honestly, I did some Windows CE development about a year ago coming from a Win32 background, and they are 95% the same, if not more. I haven't a clue why they'd require WinCE experience explicitly. There are different considerations and constraints to be sure, but they're hardware for the most part, not OS or software related... Even DirectDraw mobile was close enough to desktop-land DirectDraw that it only took an afternoon to get up and rendering, and that was my first time using DirectDraw in any form.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

For ppc2003 / windows mobile you can program using the .net compact framework (visual studio 2003,2005 and 2008)
For windows ce,pcc2000,2002 and 2003 you can use embedded visual studio (you can use c++ and evb =visual basic embedded), is free but i think its some hard to find in the microsoft webpage.

You can use a emulator (included in the sdk), so you will not need a real device but some functions are not emulate using the emulator (for example bluetooth).

-----------------------------------------------"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"
Quote:The OP with bad spelling wrote:
They said my industry experiance was helpful but they wernt taking on anyone without Windows CE experiance.

In other words, they don't just want somebody who makes games. They want somebody who makes games AND has WinCE experience.
Quote:Ravyne replied:
I haven't a clue why they'd require WinCE experience explicitly. There are different considerations and constraints to be sure

You said you don't have a clue, but then you immediately stated with that clue.

When an employer is looking for junior level or even some mid-level programmers it is okay to hire those without experience on the device. As long as they are smart they should be able to pick it up without too much trouble.

But for most mid-level and harder work, I would want to be certain that the person knows the details of the system.

My guess is that it is working in c++ (not .net) with a substantial existing code base. They probably have several engineers, and are trying to fill a specific need rather than hiring 'just another team member."

When developing for handhelds, you need several programmers who can tell the difference between good algorithms and bad algorithms. Most programmers need to understand the hardware constraints and know when something is going to be too costly, and know how to either replace it with something simpler or know how to get along without it. These companies need programmers who can figure out difficult-to-solve issues that are specific to the constraints of the hardware, and programmers who understand that minor hardware quirks can crash programs if the API is not used correctly.

The OP had an interview for the job, and since he was turned down, he should move on. They were looking for specific experience that he didn't have. He can certainly apply for other jobs there, but that particular job is a dead opportunity.
I guess what I'm saying is that "WinCE" experience is a bit too specific a place to draw the line. For example, someone with Win32 experience and experience on, say, embedded systems or hand held consoles would likely have the vast majority of skills and experience relevant to the position. Yes, there will be very specific issues that will cause differences (exactly the same type of differences they learned for their last gig, though a different set), but if that's not the exact type of information suited to a little on-the-job-training, which could be as simple as a casual "hey, you're working with this, there's something you should know..." then I don't know what is.

Certainly their mind is made up and the OP should move on (not to discourage his pursuit of expanded skills) but unless said company is looking to hire some who's role would be to advise more junior programmers of the platform's intricacies in the near-term future, I'd posit that they are limiting they're hiring pool too aggressively.

But perhaps we don't have the whole story either... Clearly they interviewed him and gave him a chance, its possible the OP showed a complete ineptitude for mobile development or relevant considerations toward device constraints. Its also possible that's the line they fed him in order to turn him down "politely". Its possible that they didn't like his shirt, or that the boss was having a bad day... We don't really know.

[Edited by - Ravyne on November 21, 2008 12:32:24 AM]

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Ive been seeing the same job posted by the company for about 2 years now. So who knows, This month my money is going for a new pipe. Next month Ill probably pick up a book on CE and see just how different things are.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement