Sign in to follow this  
snorky

[web] PHP Array of Objects Question

I'm creating an array of objects. For example in an RPG I want to load an array of races. The problem being I want these races to be available to every session that is currently under way. Pretend for simplicity there are only 2 races. Looking at it abstractly: RACES OBJECT RACES[Array] SESSION 1 User wants to view all races. SESSION 2 User wants to view one race. SESSION 5 User wants to select one race. I guess my question is do I want to make this array of races global or is there a better way to do this? (I don't want to have multiple arrays of races as it would be memory intensive.) Thank you GDnet in advance!

With a "standard" setup, you cannot do this. With a common webserver setup Apache with fork or start a new thread for ever request. Every for gets it's own PHP instance and they cannot share data. The usual way to solve this is to write your own stand-alone server. A daemon that holds all the data and does the complicated work. Then let the PHP code running in Apache talk to your daemon. In this case, Apache+PHP is simply some HTTP glue between the client and your daemon.

In all honesty, it sounds a bit like premature optimisation. Get your game running first, then see if things like these really are the bottleneck. Then think about fixing it.

Premature optimization lol. I think my brain tries to do that ALL the time. Anyway as I thought about it more I don't even need to keep them loaded so I'm on my way now, thanks for your reply thought Sander, much appriciated!