Sign in to follow this  
deadstar

Arguments for and against Vector/Quaternion combo verses a Matrix

Hi, I'm looking some advice planning a rewrite of my Geometry class. Previously I've delved into the world of three Vectors for position, scale and a euler. I abandonned the euler after many fights with it and started using Quaternions. Functions like slerp were fast becoming advantageous and I planned to use a Vector/Quaterion combo once again through the rewrite. I'd like to know if anyone has any testimonials for using two Vectors and Quaternion, verses just having a Matrix. I would plan for it to be a well-written Matrix4 class, which will include functions like LookAt, linear Lerp and rotational Slerp. Can anyone forsee any difficulties I might run into with either method? [Edited by - deadstar on November 12, 2008 7:04:39 PM]

Quote:
Original post by deadstar
Got one o' those ASP errors after I clicked submit.
<offtopic> Those are getting on my nerves - about one every three post lately. </offtopic>

Back to the question at hand, I find myself using both, largely out of habit. I started out using vector+quaternion, and shortly discovered I had to manipulate my own matrices for OpenGL, so I ended up caching a matrix at every scene node as well. Unfortunately, the vector+quaternion doesn't offer a whole lot over the matrix, and keeping both is pretty ridiculous, so I think my next rewrite will be to make everything work with just the matrix.