Getting started with coding an Adventure game.

Started by
1 comment, last by breakin 15 years, 5 months ago
For a long time I have been interested in making my own point and click adventure game (in the style of games such as "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis" and "Broken Sword the Shadow of the Templars" etc.) At the moment my game is in the concept phase, consisting of a background story and pre-production paper illustrations. The development software for producing the executable I wish to use is Microsoft Visual C++ in conjunction with the DirectX SDK. I have some experience of 3D Game Studio and have looked at Adventure Game studio, but have been lead in the the past to believe that companies are generally not interested in putting out anything written in what they call "Game creation software". So I would rather put the extra effort in and use Visual C++. Idealy I would like the game to look 3D, but be interacted with in a 2D way using the mouse. This would also be easier since a 2D game with scanned painted high resolution artwork is difficult to get right. To do this I am thinking of using the 3D modelling package "Blender" to create low-polygon models to be used within the game overlaid on a high-polygon pre-rendered image at run time. I would presume that some how I may have to incorporate the landscape model of the prerendered image into the game so characters will react to the terain and and be able to interact with objects etc and be scaled up and down as they move in relation to the players view. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If anyone has Ideas on how to get going it would be much appreciated, along with starting points for learning and applying Visual C++ with DirectX SDK to game development. {:-)
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by The Mystic
I have some experience of 3D Game Studio and have looked at Adventure Game studio, but have been lead in the the past to believe that companies are generally not interested in putting out anything written in what they call "Game creation software". So I would rather put the extra effort in and use Visual C++.
Assuming there weren't licensing problems, why would a publisher care what technology was used to develop a game?
Unless there is really really much content, perhaps XNA is a good platform. Since you've already mentioned DirectX and Visual Studio, I'm assuming that Windows only is fine with you. Using XNA you get access to Xbox 360 as well, and can use the digital distribution channel there.

You could of course first make the game and try getting a publisher interested, might be easier to prove yourself by making one game yourself though and publish it yourself. Might make a buck or two that way as well...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement