RTT or RTS

Started by
1 comment, last by Emergent 15 years, 5 months ago
Hello This is my first post and I have no coding experience whatsoever, hopefully this won't put anyone off giving advice. Some background I have made a 3D cockpit model of a fighter jet aircraft. The game in which this model is to be used is 10 years old. The game uses RTT My problem This might be difficult to describe with my lack of knowledge, however, in the 3D environment (cockpit) the game displays various digital readouts ie hud and mfd's these are displayed using RTT apparently the problem is that these are drawn last. The issue this creates is only apparent when using 6DOF Track IR hardware for example the mfd's info can be seen through the central colum of the cockpit when the viewpoint is offset. I am hoping someone can advise/explain how I would eliminate this apparent see-through. Dave
Advertisement
I think you need to cleary what the problem is... :)

If I understood you correctly, the hud-elements are drawn outside their position on the 3D-model? It's up to the programmer (and/or artist) to make sure that each element fits inside its space.
In opengl, for instance, you can specify glScissor(..) which limits rendering to only the region specified.

/Robert
"Game Maker For Life, probably never professional thou." =)
By 'RTT' you mean 'render-to-texture?' By 'RTS' you mean 'render-to-screen?' By 'MFD' you mean 'multi-function display?' (That's a lot of unfamiliar acronyms in one post! At IBM, there's a joke about "TLAs" -- 'three letter acronyms.')

Anyway, it's quite hard for me to tell what's going on from your post. In very broad strokes, it sounds like the readouts are rendered without any dept-testing (e.g., simply as quads that overlay the scene), so the solution would be, somehow, to instead render these things with depth testing at the appropriate distances from the viewer. Of course that doesn't tell you much.

Do you have access to the source of this game? Are you trying to modify the code to display the HUD correctly? Or are you just doing modeling? If the latter, then I doubt you'll be able to fix the problem robustly (though you might be able to hide/mitigate it by tweaking your model).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement