Sign in to follow this  

9 to 10 or 11, tell it to me straight...

This topic is 3317 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm still trying to get used to DirectX 9, so I know I'm worrying about this too quickly. Even so, I would like to know if I will be shaken heavily if I one day hit DX10 or 11 as a used API. By shaken heavily, I mean how much of my knowledge of DirectX9 is made obsolete. I already think it's a bit unfair that Vista has to hog two APIs for itself, so I hope it doesn't get much worse than accommodating to the more demanding OS.

From a syntax point of view going from 9-10 will hurt as they introduced a huge number of changes. Going from 10-11 will be less of a problem for syntax, but conceptually it introduces new ways of constructing your application that might pose a challenge. Going from 9-11 will hit you with both of these points.

Fundamentally the theory side will be completely transferrable - if you understand rasterized 3D graphics and triangle/vertex based geometry you're fine. Maybe with the Larrabee and onwards generation that'll change, but for now its a non-issue.

If you stick with D3D9 then ensure you only use HLSL shaders (no ASM shaders and NO fixed function) and ideally start playing around with multi-threaded programming. That should put you in good stead for playing with newer API's in the future.

hth
Jack

Noted, and thank you. I do not know what ASM shaders are or what counts as a fixed function for graphics. (If you do mean graphics) Is that just like any function written? I have no clue about multi-threaded programming either, but I will keep this stuff in mind for future studies.

Quote:
Original post by zyrolasting
I do not know what ASM shaders are or what counts as a fixed function for graphics. (If you do mean graphics) Is that just like any function written?

"Fixed Function" basically refers to how things were done before shaders.

In D3D10 and D3D11 all your texturing, lighting, transformation etc has to be done via your own shaders.

In a nutshell, "fixed function" is any codepath that relies on ::SetTransform(), ::SetTextureStageState() or ::SetLight().

"ASM" is just short-hand for "assembly" which was the only choice for Direct3D 8.x shaders and still used in some D3D9 applications. HLSL shaders are in a c-like language so you'd definitely know the difference [smile]

hth
Jack

This topic is 3317 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.