Sign in to follow this  

[SlimDX] Visual Basic .Net Support?

This topic is 3321 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I see that in the documentation for SlimDX (http://slimdx.mdxinfo.com/latestdocs/) there are columns for C#, Visual Basic, and C++/CLI. Does this mean that the June 2008 release of SlimDX includes the libraries for programming using Visual Basic .net? If so, how do I add them to the project? Thanks!

It is the same .dll for all langauges, only difference is if you're doing 32 or 64bit development.

1) Start Visual Basic
2) Open your project
3) To the right, there should be a solution explorer. In the solutions explorer, right click your project name, select "Add reference"
4) Select the "Browse" tab, and find the Slimdx.dll
5) You're done

So then there is no difference between using the three languages as far as the graphics portion of the development (SlimDX) is concerned?

If this is true, why does XNA not support VB.NET (it only supports visual C#)?

I am new to the graphics part of this, and have only developed business applications for windows and never needed any outside (third party) additions to Visual Studio 2005 Pro. So, sorry if this seams a strange thread.

Quote:
Original post by Lord_Troll
If this is true, why does XNA not support VB.NET (it only supports visual C#)?
It's because XNA integrates itself into the development, providing things like the content pipeline and other types of Visual Studio integration. This makes it a lot more effort to support languages than a simple .NET library like SlimDX.

Anyway, VB.NET is fully supported, although I'll be the first to admit it's not well tested. We've seen some weird VB.NET syntax related glitches from time to time, but nothing that couldn't be handled.

This topic is 3321 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.