Trying to find pre-built Boost 1.37

Started by
7 comments, last by _goat 15 years, 5 months ago
There doesn't seem to be a Windows-based installer for this latest version yet, and I can't figure out their weird build system. Maybe there is an installer somewhere I missed? Or has anyone else already got all the libs built for windows (specifically MSVC++ 2008), and could maybe email (<my handle>@gmail.com) me their /lib folder or a .SLN file to build it? Any help appreciated. I really hate having to build your own dependencies...
Advertisement
hi d000hg,

at home I use tortoise to access the boost repository, and a batchfile to build and install 32 and 64 bit verisions to my projects 3rdParty directory.

It's not fully automated, but it saved me lot lot lot of time.

If you are interested, I could post it here tonight, when I get home.

Best Jochen
Why did Doug Gregor create the empty directory?
It's actually not that complicated to build yourself, all the info your need is on the Getting Started page.

But here is how to do it in 3 easy steps:

1) Get bjam. Just download it from here. Choose the "ntx86" version on Windows. Unzip it in the root of your boost package.

2) Start a Visual Studio 200x Command Prompt. There's a link in the start menu, under Visual Studio 200x -> Visual Studio Tools -> Visual Studio 200x Command Prompt.

3) CD to your boost package and run bjam. You have to specify tool-set and build-dir:
bjam --build-dir="c:\temp\boost-build" --toolset=msvc --build-type=complete stage

will build boost into a directory called "stage", using the MS Visual C++ compiler, keeping intermediate files in "c:\temp\boost-build".

That's it, you should now be building the complete boost library. This will take a long time, so be patient! You also need about 8 GB or so of harddisk space.
Get it here.

This place hosts pre built boost binaries.
Is this what you are looking for?

They don't seem to have 1.37 yet though. Maybe in a week or so.
Quote:Original post by Kuroahiru
Get it here.

This place hosts pre built boost binaries.
Is this what you are looking for?

They don't seem to have 1.37 yet though. Maybe in a week or so.
I know that site, but as you say it doesn't have 1.37, some other library I use has a dependency on it.

If anyone has pre-built the libs for Windows, you would be my hero if I could get a copy. I have all the source and includes, just not the built libs. I don't want to tie up my PC for several hours (why on earth does it take this long anyway?)
Quote:Original post by d000hg
[...](why on earth does it take this long anyway?)
I'd guess it's probably because it uses very complicated template code (which can mean the compiler generates hundreds or thousands of times more code than the input originally contains) and because it's reading and writing thousands of small files, which are bad for access times. It also does it something like 8 times by default (debug vs release, DLL vs static link, single threaded vs multithreaded, and DLL CRT vs static CRT - not all combos are created)

"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
You may well be able to shave a lot of time off of this, by compiling only static release (or dynamic release if you prefer). Also be aware that several of the libraries are header-only, and thus require no compilation at all. And if you do have to build the whole thing, a full build takes less than an hour on my Core 2 Duo MacBook - I can't imagine the windows build would be that much slower.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Quote:Original post by swiftcoder
You may well be able to shave a lot of time off of this, by compiling only static release (or dynamic release if you prefer). Also be aware that several of the libraries are header-only, and thus require no compilation at all. And if you do have to build the whole thing, a full build takes less than an hour on my Core 2 Duo MacBook - I can't imagine the windows build would be that much slower.

Took about 30 minutes on my Core 2 Duo XP pc. It ain't hard. Also, a --build-type=complete build takes up 2.86 gb (I built it yesterday!), not 8gb.
[ search: google ][ programming: msdn | boost | opengl ][ languages: nihongo ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement