Ensuring a constant adress location

Started by
11 comments, last by ak-73 15 years, 5 months ago
Is there anyway to make sure that (across builds) and object gets always created at a specific address? (Admittedly, I would need this ability for a hack.) I remember under Windows there's VirtualAlloc() and I think it can be used to make sure that a specific range of addresses get reserved/comitted (which can then be placement new'ed). Any other way? Alex
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by ak-73

Is there anyway to make sure that (across builds) and object gets always created at a specific address? (Admittedly, I would need this ability for a hack.)

I remember under Windows there's VirtualAlloc() and I think it can be used to make sure that a specific range of addresses get reserved/comitted (which can then be placement new'ed). Any other way?

Alex
VirtualAlloc() doesn't guarantee anything, it's a request not a demand. For debugging, it's probably alright, but you need to be aware that you're not guaranteed to get the address you ask for (What if a DLL is loaded at that address for instance?)

Why do you need this? Is there really no other way?

I don't *need* this, fortunately. :-)

I have been intellectually contemplating how to implement an object factory differently after taking a glance Alexandrescu's approach in "Modern C++ Design".

I was wondering if it was possible to use virtual method table addresses for type identification *somehow*:

class SomeGameObjectType : public ObjectType
{
public:
virtual ~SomeGameObjectType();
virtual BaseObject* createGameObject();
}

That class should have a size of sizeof(void*).

Then:

class SomeGameObject : public BaseObject
{
ObjectType* type;
}

Client Code:
ObjectType type = (ObjectType) readDwordFromFile();
BaseObject* obj = type->createGameObject();

Something like that (the DWORD from file would ideally never have to change across versions, etc)... don't nail me on the specifics. :-) It was just a thought that was loosely floating around right now... :-)

Alex
Memory allocated (e.g. code, data and bss) inside the Win32 executable itself is non-relocatable, well, normally anyway (Win32s apparently uses an odd base address and requires relocation information for executables to run, but I don't suppose you're targeting Win3.) So if you need a buffer at a fixed address for whatever reason then perhaps you could simply reserve a sufficiently large global array, at least that way there's no risk of the allocation failing short of running out of address space.
Presumably there's some way of creating a unique segment for the buffer and placing it at a specific (not merely fixed) address, either through the right linker incantations or with a separate tool as you would rebase a DLL.
Quote:Original post by implicit
Memory allocated (e.g. code, data and bss) inside the Win32 executable itself is non-relocatable, well, normally anyway

*Assuming* you have a *stable* .exe, no? :-) However I would like to maintain a stable reserved range of addresses throughout the development cycle.

Quote:
(Win32s apparently uses an odd base address and requires relocation information for executables to run, but I don't suppose you're targeting Win3.) So if you need a buffer at a fixed address for whatever reason then perhaps you could simply reserve a sufficiently large global array, at least that way there's no risk of the allocation failing short of running out of address space.

And if I make plenty of changes in the code, adding other globals or replacing/removing them, will the global array stay in any case at the same base address?

Quote:
Presumably there's some way of creating a unique segment for the buffer and placing it at a specific (not merely fixed) address, either through the right linker incantations or with a separate tool as you would rebase a DLL.

Beats me! :-)

Again: I have merely been contemplating this because I thought whether there might be a good alternative to Alexandrescu's approach. Fortunately I don't *need* this.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Alex

I have only done a quick search but one possible avenue would be driver development needs, i would imagine they use defined address space alot. Just a thought
Innovation not reiterationIf at any point I look as if I know what I'm doing don't worry it was probably an accident.
I guess the fundamental problem is about relocation if you really are determined in doing this. There are a few ways to make your life easier, assuming Visual Studio: /FIXED (Fixed Base Address) and /BASE (Base Address).
---Sudet ulvovat - karavaani kulkee
Think this covers the topic unfortuately not really what i was looking for :p
Innovation not reiterationIf at any point I look as if I know what I'm doing don't worry it was probably an accident.
Quote:Original post by Guthur
Think this covers the topic unfortuately not really what i was looking for :p

I wouldn't pursue this much further if there isn't an easy and obvious solution. The approach in Modern C++ Design works; I just thought it might be made a bit prettier. :-)

If one gets "hung up" on side issues like these, one loses track of the big picture and never gets anything *finished*.

Thanks for your help though. :-)

Alex
True True Alex, indeed i had to make a similar trade off recently give up on one path not because it was likely to be impossible but would take to long to figure out.

I just happened upon that and thought of this thread :) I was searching about assigning memory and char size. Wish i never thought of looking especially, believe it or not, in regards to char size :s

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement