Array of Controls

Started by
7 comments, last by brechtjah 15 years, 5 months ago
Hi, I want to create several controls dynamically in Win32 C++. Because typing out 9*9 controls and edit their position is quite difficult, I would like to create them using a for loop:

unsigned short int x, y;

for(x=0; x<9; x++) {
    for(y=0; y<9; y++) {

// Code to create controls
      STATIC_xy = CreateWindow(
           "STATIC",
           "-",
           WS_VISIBLE | WS_CHILD,
           10 + x, 10 + y, 30, 30,
           hwnd,
           (HMENU) ID_STATIC_xy,
           NULL,
           NULL);
    }
  }
However, I'm stuck right there, how can I move on. All articles on this on internet are either C#, Visual C or MFC. Could anyone give me a push here? :=)
Advertisement
What is "STATIC_xy"?
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
What is "STATIC_xy"?

This is what I meant by STATIC_xy, it should be a dynamic name:
STATIC_00
STATIC_01
STATIC_02
STATIC_99
Congratulations, you chose one of the few programming languages that don't allow dynamic variable naming. :) As I understand it, for the most part you can only do that with interpreted languages, so you're going to have to be more clever about it.

I'm not familiar with Win32 programming, but since CreateWindow just returns a window handle, it seems to me that a simple array will do the trick, especially since you know exactly how many you want to create.
Quote:Original post by brechtjah
What is "STATIC_xy"?

STATIC_00
STATIC_01
STATIC_02
STATIC_99

C++ doesn't work that way; the variable names don't "exist" in the compiled code.

The natural way to accomplish this sort of thing is with a container. You can use one from the standard library, such as std::vector, or an array, which is built-in.
Quote:Original post by Zahlman
Quote:Original post by brechtjah
What is "STATIC_xy"?

STATIC_00
STATIC_01
STATIC_02
STATIC_99

C++ doesn't work that way; the variable names don't "exist" in the compiled code.

The natural way to accomplish this sort of thing is with a container. You can use one from the standard library, such as std::vector, or an array, which is built-in.

Would it then still be better (here better not in the meaning of efficient) to create all 81 controls?
what you would have to do is this

// for example's sake, x = 5

HWND *controlList = new HWND[x]; //dynamicly allocate(create) enough room
//for your list of controls

for(i = 0;i<x;i++)
{
controlList = CreateWindow(fill this with stuff);
}

--------------------------------------Not All Martyrs See Divinity, But At Least You Tried
Quote:Original post by godsenddeath
what you would have to do is this

// for example's sake, x = 5

HWND *controlList = new HWND[x]; //dynamicly allocate(create) enough room
//for your list of controls

for(i = 0;i<x;i++)
{
controlList = CreateWindow(fill this with stuff);
}

You forgot to delete [] the data you newed.

I would strongly consider the use of a standard container instead of raw memory management. In this case, std::vector<> with some clever indexing or boost::multi_array could work.
Thanks for all the help, however, I've bumped into a problem I don't understand. This is my code:
unsigned short int row, column, i;  row  = 9;  column = 9;  i = 0;  HWND *controlList = new HWND[row][column];    for(row=0;row<9;row++) {    for(column=0;column<9;column++) {      controlList[row][column] = CreateWindow("EDIT",           NULL,           ES_CENTER | WS_VISIBLE | WS_CHILD,           10+row*30, 10+column*30, 20, 20,           hwnd,           (HMENU) 400+i,           NULL,           NULL);      i++;    }  }

It gives me the following error (Dev Cpp):
'column' cannot appear in a constant expression
I've never seen this error, some articles on Google speak of doing something tat is not allowed by the standards but why wouldn't you be able to do the above code?

EDIT: I solved it like this, but why won't it accept a two dimensional array?
unsigned short int row, column, i;      row  = 9;      column = 9;      i = 0;      HWND *controlList = new HWND[81];        for(row=0;row<9;row++) {        for(column=0;column<9;column++) {          controlList = CreateWindow("EDIT",    // Window Type             NULL,                                           // Text             ES_CENTER | WS_VISIBLE | WS_CHILD,             10+row*30, 10+column*30, 20, 20,                // x, y, width, height             hwnd,                                           // Parent Handle             (HMENU) 400+i,                         // Window ID             NULL,             NULL);                    i++;        }      }

[Edited by - brechtjah on November 15, 2008 5:48:59 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement