first attempt at a 2d rpg-esque character

Started by
6 comments, last by A dam 15 years, 4 months ago
Hey guys! I'm not sure how active this area of the forums is but i thought I'd give posting a try. I've been working on a 2d adventure game and started getting sick of using stick figures for place holders and thought I'd invest my time in making something a little prettier to look at. So i sketched out a little character, scanned him and have been doing my best to trace and color him with gimp. Just wanted to see what you guys might think of my amateur art and maybe get some advice if someone thinks something could be done better or differently. Images! (dollar signs on the scans are from trial scanning software) scan of sketch character character + sketch PS: Anyone know any good reads about animating characters like this?
Advertisement
Wow, that's... small. [smile]

That's actually pretty good for a first try. What are you using to draw? You might find there are better tools that you can use - yes, Photoshop ($$$), but also Paint.NET ($0) and the GIMP ($0).

Here's a sprite animation tutorial using the GIMP.
Another thought may be to try using Inkscape (also $0). It's a vector graphics program - so you can trace around the drawn lines very easily. If you're used to painting, vector graphics can take a little getting used to, but it's probably a good way to go, depending on the art style you want.

A quick google turned up this result, it's for adobe illustrator, but shows some of the most important points - such as keeping internal lines thinner than the border.

As for animating - you should be able to follow any "beginners guide" to hand-drawn animation, as the principles are pretty much the same.

Hope that helps,
Philip
I am using the GIMP currently

I've heard people talk about vector graphics programs before but i haven't tried one out yet. I'll give inkscape a try for sure. Tracing lines in the gimp was a pretty big chore so hopefully i can get through that a little faster with Inkscape.

the character is a little bit small but it's a multiplayer game so ideally there will be a few of these guys one the screen at a time with screen space left over for items, monsters, and chat text. Like i said I am just starting out with this whole art scene so it's definately possible i might have overdone my sizing

thanks a bunch for the link! I'll go read it right now

EDIT: the tutorial was good to read, but i was hoping for something a little bit more about making the actual sprites have fluid movement instead of how to animate already made sprites
Quote:Original post by A dam
EDIT: the tutorial was good to read, but i was hoping for something a little bit more about making the actual sprites have fluid movement instead of how to animate already made sprites

Fluid animation is all about how many tweens you draw between keyframes, relative to your game's Frames per Second and the delay between frames on your animation.

I suggest plugging any/all of the terms above into Google for more research :)

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

I would build up stronger life drawing and anatomy skills before animating. You're still drawing symbols instead of what you actually see (from a reference or in your mind). For instance, legs and arms are never perfectly straight like that.

If you insist on animating before learning solid drawing skills, here is a great site: http://www.idleworm.com/how/index.shtml
LusikkaMage did
">this one
and I found it really helpful, as she says in the video, its a pretty good idea to get those manga tutorials.
thanks a bunch guys!
I'm not planning on this being actual artwork i just want something prettier than a stick figure to look at. Maybe someday I'll be able to draw anatomically correct characters but in the meantime something that looks relatively human should work i just need to get it animated so i will follow these links and thank you guys again for your help!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement