Sign in to follow this  

Problems setting Vertex and Index buffers to ID3DXMESH

This topic is 3314 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, hope somebody can help me out! I'm putting together a terrain generation from Perlin Maps engine in c++/dx, and have hit upon some issues when converting my generated terrain to a mesh. Originally, I created an Index and a Vertex buffer for my terrain, and filled them with the relevant data, this rendered with no problems. I then decided to put my buffers into a D3DXMESH (sensibly, I felt so I could utilise some of the built in functions of D3DXMESH). I setup the mesh, then proceeded to lock both buffers and memcpy in the relevant data. This is where my issue arises. Currently, when I run my program I get some strange results. The first time I run it, I get a few polygons rendered at obscure angles and positions. Image and video hosting by TinyPic If I then close the program and reopen it straight away, I see a large portion of my terrain, but with plenty of holes and obscurely placed polys. Image and video hosting by TinyPic I've got a feeling that my calculations for the number of faces/vertices is incorrect somewhere, but i've spent so long with it today that it's just becoming a garbled mess in my head. So I thought i'd see if anyone else had any ideas :) I've also tried setting the attributes of the mesh, no luck though. Oh, and lastly (although it's kind of obvious) my CUSTOMVERTEX structure holds three floats (x,y,z) and a DWORD (color). Here's the code for the relevant section, I hope somebody can help!
D3DXCreateMeshFVF((int_EnvWidth-1)*(int_EnvHeight-1)*3,int_EnvWidth*int_EnvHeight,D3DXMESH_MANAGED,D3DFVF_XYZ|D3DFVF_DIFFUSE , p_dx_Device, &mesh_terrain);
VOID* p_Index;
VOID* p_Vertices;

// lock the vertex buffer, copy in the vertices, then unlock the buffer
mesh_terrain->LockVertexBuffer(D3DLOCK_DISCARD, (void**)&p_Vertices);
memcpy( p_Vertices, p_dx_VertexBuffer, int_EnvWidth*int_EnvHeight*sizeof(CUSTOMVERTEX));
mesh_terrain->UnlockVertexBuffer();

// Lock the index buffer, copy in the indices, then unlock the buffer
mesh_terrain->LockIndexBuffer( 0, &p_Index );
memcpy( p_Index, p_dx_IndexBuffer, (int_EnvWidth-1)*(int_EnvHeight-1)*6*sizeof(short));
mesh_terrain->UnlockIndexBuffer();

It's always the case isn't it, you post a question to a problem thats been troubling you for days, then you solve it yourself a few hours later ;)

for the sake of anybody with the same issue as me, here's the working code to perform what I was trying to do:

D3DXCreateMeshFVF((int_EnvWidth-1)*(int_EnvHeight-1)*3,int_EnvWidth*int_EnvHeight,D3DXMESH_MANAGED,D3DFVF_XYZ|D3DFVF_DIFFUSE , p_dx_Device, &mesh_terrain);
VOID* p_Index;
VOID* p_Vertices;
VOID* p_aIndex;
VOID* p_aVertices;

// lock the mesh vertex buffer and the terrains vertex bufer, copy in the vertices, then unlock both buffers
mesh_terrain->LockVertexBuffer(D3DLOCK_DISCARD, (void**)&p_Vertices);
p_dx_VertexBuffer->Lock(0, 0, (void**)&p_aVertices, D3DLOCK_READONLY);
memcpy( p_Vertices, p_aVertices, int_EnvWidth*int_EnvHeight*sizeof(CUSTOMVERTEX));
mesh_terrain->UnlockVertexBuffer();
p_dx_VertexBuffer->Unlock();

// Lock the mesh index buffer and the terrains index buffer, copy in the indices, then unlock both buffers
mesh_terrain->LockIndexBuffer( 0, &p_Index );
p_dx_IndexBuffer->Lock(0, 0, (void**)&p_aIndex, D3DLOCK_READONLY);
memcpy( p_Index, p_aIndex, (int_EnvWidth-1)*(int_EnvHeight-1)*6*sizeof(short));
mesh_terrain->UnlockIndexBuffer();
p_dx_IndexBuffer->Unlock();

This topic is 3314 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.