Sign in to follow this  

SlimDX November 2008 Released

This topic is 3313 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

The November 2008 release of SlimDX is now available for download! You can get it, as well as information about the new release, from our Downloads page. The Release Notes cover the changes, although to be frank, they completely miss the important stuff this time around because only code changes are listed. For this version of SlimDX, there has been a heavy focus on making it easier for developers as well as users to work with SlimDX. There are plenty of bug fixes, but the big news is updated and revised documentation, along with a completely rebuilt installation system. In the past, SlimDX was split into several different pieces for the core runtime, documentation, samples, and individual binaries. This is no longer the case; we have decided to follow the same model as the DirectX team and produce a redistributable runtime and a Developer SDK. The SDK includes all of the binaries, documentation, and samples. It also includes all of the files necessary to build custom installation packages if desired. The SDK supports both 32 bit and 64 bit systems. The November SDK does not add much to the SlimDX core library in terms of new features. There are some bug fixes, all of which are listed in the Release Notes, as well as in the SDK documentation. The focus of this release was on making development and deployment of SlimDX applications much smoother, since this is an area where we've been getting a lot of feedback for improvements. Amongst those features is a proper end user runtime, which quickly and quietly installs everything needed on a system to run SlimDX programs. This installer supports silent installation and does not create a Program Files entry. It is unified for 32 bit and 64 bit systems, and the SDK includes the full WiX script used to create it so that developers may customize it or use it as a model. We have also evolved our documentation beyond a simple class reference, and it now includes a number of topics discussing development. There are relatively few of these articles right now, but in the future this part of the documentation will continue to expand. This documentation will be uploaded to our site in HTML form soon, but that's a several hour long process and I need a break after spending about thirty hours on SlimDX this week. As always, SlimDX's development is driven by requests from developers and users, so we encourage people to contact us if they have any questions, suggestions, or general comments. If you want a feature, ask for it! Don't assume we're already working on it, unless it's already in this list of stuff we're doing for the March release: * DirectX 11 * Direct2D * DirectX 10-level-9

Awesome. I've updated Gorgon with it and it's all good.

I do have one suggestion regarding the Developer SDK installer. Can you make it so that we can choose where we install the files? Right now the Browse button is greyed out and it defaults to the "C:\Program Files (x86)\" (on x64) directory. I usually put my libraries and assembly DLLs elsewhere.

Other than that the installer is near perfection. I especially like that I can opt out of the GAC installation, thanks a bunch for adding that.

Quote:
Original post by Tape_Worm
I do have one suggestion regarding the Developer SDK installer. Can you make it so that we can choose where we install the files?
That's a known bug. I was aware of it but I didn't have time to figure out how to fix it and there was too much to do. WiX and I have to have a little chat, because it won't let me have directory selection at all right now. I think I'm missing something it wants.
Quote:
Other than that the installer is near perfection. I especially like that I can opt out of the GAC installation, thanks a bunch for adding that.
I had you in mind with the GAC control.

Quote:
Original post by Promit
Quote:
Original post by Tape_Worm
I do have one suggestion regarding the Developer SDK installer. Can you make it so that we can choose where we install the files?
That's a known bug. I was aware of it but I didn't have time to figure out how to fix it and there was too much to do. WiX and I have to have a little chat, because it won't let me have directory selection at all right now. I think I'm missing something it wants.

Sounds painful. I'm using Innosetup these days, it's not perfect, but it suits my needs. Installers are just a friggin' nightmare. I'm starting to think I'd be better off with a batch file that'll just xcopy everything :).

Quote:
Quote:
I had you in mind with the GAC control.

YAY I IS SPESHUL![grin] Thanks, I appreciate it.

The download seems to be corrupt somehow. I downloaded the file and the CRC check fails for me. So I tried again and the check still fails. I compared the two files and they are binary equal. So I guess, it has not broken during download, but was also broken on the server. Btw, I'm talking about the SDK release. Didn't checked the runtime release.

I also tried to unpack the installation with WinRAR, but this fails too. Is it possible to add a recovery record to the setup file? This would help fixing minor bit errors.

Thanks in advance
Scoregraphic

I'm able to download and install it just fine, and it appears that Tape_Worm did as well. Are you sure you're getting a complete download? Also, check that your machine is up to date...it might be some kind of problem with Windows Installer versions.

Quote:
Original post by Promit
I'm able to download and install it just fine, and it appears that Tape_Worm did as well. Are you sure you're getting a complete download? Also, check that your machine is up to date...it might be some kind of problem with Windows Installer versions.

Maybe I didn't get everything on my machine...I tried it again now and it works absolutely perfect! Thanks for this great library

This topic is 3313 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.