• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quake 3 Quad Damage Lighting

This topic is 6055 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
I assume just a bluish light glow, if you''re referring to the glow around your player.

If you''re talking about the bluish see-through texture on the weapons and such, it''s probably just a slightly-enlarged model rendered with a blue texture with alpha-blending

I see. I have to study my OpenGL lighting functions carefully to see if I can create something like that. I like the blue glow of the quad damage light.

Edem Attiogbe

My guess is that they make a larger scaled model of the character and set the textures to some neat animated texture with specular lighting.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I beleive the way the Quad Shell was done is by translating each vertex of the model by it''s lighting normal?

That would make the shell even around the entire mesh an even one unit around the model.

Thats pretty much the same thing, isn''t it?

They might be using a spherical environment map too, the envmap could consist of mostly blue with some silver strips. This would give it that cool look.

Jason A.
DelphiGL (http://delphigl.cfxweb.net)

I never thought of that. Mind you, it changes when you are just standing there and not moving. Perhaps they are changing the coordinates of the texture/spheremap.

Could be they are rotating the texture matrix every frame.

Jason A.
DelphiGL (http://delphigl.cfweb.net)

Quake3''s quad damage effect on models is done through the renderer scripting system "Shaders".

The shader for the quad damage effect is:

powerups/quad
{
deformVertexes wave 100 sin 3 0 0 0
{
map textures/effects/quadmap2.tga
blendfunc GL_ONE GL_ONE
tcGen environment
tcmod rotate 30
//tcMod turb 0 0.2 0 .2
tcmod scroll 1 .1
}