ID3D10DEVICE Pointer passing

Started by
6 comments, last by Guthur 15 years, 5 months ago
This is quite a newb question but is it possible to pass a pointer to ID3D10DEVICEPointer to another class. For seem reason my implementation doesn't work. ID3D10Device was created in the containing class for this but i seem to get nothing but issues trying to use the passed device. If i create the buffers in the containing class and then assign them directing it all works fine. Thanks,

int DXBufferManager::CreateBuffers(ID3D10Device** pDevice)
{
	HRESULT hr = 0;
	hr = this->CreateVertexBuffer( VB_SIZE, m_pVertexBuffer, pDevice );
	if( hr == S_OK ) hr = this->CreateVertexBuffer( TB_SIZE, m_pTransformBuffer, pDevice );
	if( hr == S_OK ) hr = this->CreateIndexBuffer( IB_SIZE, m_pIndexBuffer, pDevice );
	return 0;
}

int DXBufferManager::CreateVertexBuffer(unsigned int byteWidth, ID3D10Buffer** ppVertexBuffer, ID3D10Device** pDevice)
{
	HRESULT hr = 0;

D3D10_BUFFER_DESC bd;
	bd.Usage = D3D10_USAGE_DYNAMIC;
	bd.ByteWidth = byteWidth;
	bd.BindFlags = D3D10_BIND_VERTEX_BUFFER;
	bd.CPUAccessFlags = D3D10_CPU_ACCESS_WRITE;
	bd.MiscFlags = 0;

hr = ((ID3D10Device*)*pDevice)->CreateBuffer( &bd, 0, ppVertexBuffer );
	return hr;
}

Innovation not reiterationIf at any point I look as if I know what I'm doing don't worry it was probably an accident.
Advertisement
Why are you passing an ID3D10Device**? Those are typically used when you want to output a value from your method, and not when you want to pass a value in.

You probably want to pass in an ID3D10Device*.

I'd recommend you brush up on some of the C++ basics, as you'll find things much, much simpler once you do.
Sirob Yes.» - status: Work-O-Rama.
Also, if you want to check if a call succeeded, don't use hr == S_OK, as the result isn't always S_OK even when the call succeeds.

Use the SUCCEEDED(hr) macro (or FAILED(hr)).
I thought that for directX Objects a alot of the time you had to pass a pointer to the pointer, in this case just the address of the D3DDevice pointer i created in the containing class. I was assuming it was something to do with reference counting or something, a COM thing i thought. If it was straight C++ i wouldn't have as much a problem of understanding.
Innovation not reiterationIf at any point I look as if I know what I'm doing don't worry it was probably an accident.
Just double checked and it really seems there would be no way it would work if i just passed the ID3D10Device*, it looks like a valid pointer in debug but the minute you call a function like pDevice->CreateBuffer( &bd, 0, ppVertexBuffer ); it causes an unhandled exception.
Take a look at what the tutorials do.

As for the access violation calling any method on the device pointer, make sure the CreateDevice call isn't failing.
If i was doing what the tutorials were doing then i would not be having a Buffer management class now would i ;)

I know there is no problem when i create the buffers in the containing Visualisation Class, the Device is most certainly valid, I have been tweaking my already running render pipe :).

I am assumed that by your tone you are sure this should be possible with no problem. I can get away with creating the Buffers in the visualisation class before passing them to the manager but it would be nice to create them in the manager class.
sirob: Ya thanks i did need a slap around the head there it was my pointers :$, doh so easy to get oneself in a muddle on which address is which.

It ended up the Device was a red herring it was the buffer pointer :p

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement