• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Z_of_Thule

.lib and ,dll - what are they used for and how to make/use them?

This topic is 3654 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

.lib and ,dll - what are they used for and how to make/use them? could some one please explain this to me? I havn't needed to know untill now so I a kinda need some help.

Advertisement
A .lib is a static library that gets linked to your code.
A .dll is a dynamic library that gets loaded by your code at runtime.
Both provide a way for you to combine large portions of shared codebase into one file.

With a .lib, this means project A doesn't need to compile all the .cpp files that were put into the .lib, it just uses the .h files and links against the .lib. This is a good way to store shared code between projects (sound API, network API, graphics API, windows even has .libs you link against)

With a .dll, everything is linked at runtime, so you can update / change the dll to change functionality. This is good for things like plugins for photoshop or maya for example, where the system expects a dll with some set of functions in it, and if it gets that it can just link and call those functions.

This is a MUST read tutorial that I found regarding this exact question not too long ago. Hope it helps.

http://www.flipcode.com/archives/Creating_And_Using_DLLs.shtml

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!