Sign in to follow this  

how much different is...

This topic is 3316 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

c and c#? i want to learn c as my main language.... but i cant do that til i get my new computer... then there is c#... another language i want to learn. what im wondering how different are the two?

They have nothing in common whatsoever except for curly braces and C in their name. Everything else that looks the same just looks the same, but is completely unrelated.

Significantly different.

(ignoring the requirement of a new computer to learn C, which is poppycock; and the questionable utility of aiming for C to be your primary language)

Depends on what you wanna do.

For example, if you wanna write an OS from scratch, C is better (but writing the OS will still be impossible lol).
If you wanna make a simple GUI app, C# is much easier and probably better.

Those are just examples.

Personally, I think C has little use unless you're dealing with some low-level stuff, otherwise C++ is a better choice. C and C++ are similar, but C++ supports many more useful features since it's an extended version of the language. C# was a completely new one, simply somewhat based on C/C++.

Quote:
Original post by shurcool
For example, if you wanna write an OS from scratch, C is better (but writing the OS will still be impossible lol).

Cosmos and SharpOS are both made in C#. However most microcontrollers are made with assembler or C and this is the only area, as far as I can see where C is needed.

the only reason i want to learn C is because you can develop games for the psp.
C# lets me make games for the 360 and zune (with xna)
but id rather develop for the psp... so is C# or C easier?

Quote:
Original post by m09868

How much programming experience in other languages do you already have? If you have never programmed before, you won't do anything interesting on the psp for at least a couple of months.

As for the original question on how much different they are... I would say 95% different if that makes you happy ;)

Quote:
Original post by sirGustav
Cosmos and SharpOS are both made in C#. However most microcontrollers are made with assembler or C and this is the only area, as far as I can see where C is needed.
Heh, this is a bit off-topic, but offering two pre-alpha operating systems written in C# as proof that C is no longer needed for OS programming? That's pretty silly. Those are interesting projects (as is Microsoft's own Singularity - which, to further prove the point, actually uses C and assembly for initial low-level stuff) but are far from usable systems.

Quote:
Original post by m09868
C# lets me make games for the 360 and zune (with xna)
but id rather develop for the psp...
Ah, there is the real question. Yes, C# is easier, but you won't get to develop for your platform of choice. Have you considered Lua? That's easier than C# and lets you develop for the PSP. You will be able to make something interesting (to you) in a very short time...I believe I entered a competition 3 weeks after I started, though admittedly I had a bit of experience with a different interpreted language. Unfortunately the homebrew scene has really died down since I was involved (a couple years ago now), so forum help won't be as immediate as it used to be. It seems that fewer and fewer PSP devs these days are interested in creating their own games.

Anyway, if you're interesting in learning Lua, there are several tutorials using the original Luaplayer, including my favorite set from Evilmana. The new maintainer of Luaplayer has actually rewritten so it's supposedly much faster, using his own game engine. That would be PGE Lua...still Lua, just a completely different interface to the PSP hardware. I've moved away from PSP development so I haven't tried it though.

Quote:
Original post by lmeliorHeh, this is a bit off-topic, but offering two pre-alpha operating systems written in C# as proof that C is no longer needed for OS programming? That's pretty silly. Those are interesting projects (as is Microsoft's own Singularity - which, to further prove the point, actually uses C and assembly for initial low-level stuff)

I guess Java would classify as better then, since it can run Linux as Applet, no C or assembly needed, full 386 emulation.

And we're nothing but a bunch of rocks.

For a beginner, trying to do something (draw things, play sound), C# will produce results much faster.

This topic is 3316 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.