Sign in to follow this  

Largest supported drawing area FBOs vs PBuffers

This topic is 3314 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone, I am wondering how best to discover the largest available offscreen drawing area. I am beginning to run into the limits of a single render pass, and am implementing a tiling algorithm. I am currently using FBOs; however I am also wondering if there are any potential benefits to using WGL PBuffers (as they don't seem to require the creation of a dummy window in order to attain a context). Thanks! - Sean

Looking at the limits using OGL extension viewer, my 7800gtx FBO max render buffer size is 4096x4096. Thats also the max viewport size, and texture rectangle size, probably the limit for most everything buffer related.
PBuffers i cant say, id guess the same, but i dont use em myself

If, in fact, the maximum viewport size is [or often is] equivalent to the maximum FBO size, then something strange is going on on my system (and one other on which I've tested). When I execute a glGet() on GL_MAX_VIEWPORT_DIMS, I get 8192x8192; however, I start to see artifacts (vertical sections of the image are black upon calls to glReadPixels) as soon as my FBO size exceeds the screen resolution.

Thanks again,
Sean

Max viewport size does not translate to max texture size.

I can have max texture size of 1024 x 1024 and max viewport dimensions of 16384 x 16384.
Doesn't mean I can create a texture this large.

So why does OpenGL return this huge viewport I can't use?
I honestly don't know why. Probably has something to do with windows.

This topic is 3314 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.