Rock Band Drums Game (Engine Completed Already)

Started by
5 comments, last by avery1555 15 years, 5 months ago
I was fooling around with my Rock Band drumset one day, plugged it into my PC and found it worked as a fully functional gamepad device. So, I was inspired to make a game. So far, I have completed the engine of a drumming game very similar to Guitar Hero. Altough, unfortunatley the Bass Pedal is not currently supported. Ill have some screenies up as soon as I finish the looks and the HUD and all that. So far the game features... -Tour Mode (Incomplete, features "unlicensed" songs, so dont expect to recongnize any popular songs.) -Freeplay Mode (Lets your Rock Band drumset act like an electric drumset. Creates notes as you play for playing it again afterwards.) -Downloadable Songs (Site will be setup with patches for the game to add more songs later on.) So, any ideas for me to add in with this game? If you want to see the game, message me and Ill send you the Demo (1 Song) as soon as its done. By the way, the demo song is "Hollywise" by Rooftop Manhattan. Oh yeah, the game is set for a "plug in play session" style of play with the PS2 drumset. No additional software or hardware required unless your using a Xbox-360 drumset, which will be compatible in the long run.
Advertisement
The best use I could think of for that thing is some sort of real drum training software. Basically a number of excercises (rudiments, beats, fills) done to a metronome, with a scoring scheme. If it had a full training mode, with a range of stages to complete then it would be pretty awesome. The pads aren't great, but just sensitive enough to do a wide range of techniques on.

I was thinking of implementing this a while ago with my Roland V-Drums, after I finally got a USB-to-MIDI cable. It would be usefull having proper excercises from drum tuition books.

Of course, that just took all the fun out of any proposed 'game', but it's something that might be a high seller since Rock Band equipment is widely available at almost 10 times cheaper than Roland or Yamaha practice pad sets, drum lessons are expensive, real drum kits are very loud and the demand for electronic resources that 'help'you learn is very high.

"The right, man, in the wrong, place, can make all the dif-fer-rence in the world..." - GMan, Half-Life 2

A blog of my SEGA Megadrive development adventures: http://www.bigevilcorporation.co.uk

Quote:Original post by deadstar
Of course, that just took all the fun out of any proposed 'game'...

I don't know, it sounds like it could be really entertaining for someone that has a genuine interest in playing drums.
I could implement a metronome into the freeplay mode as with different soundsets. My goal altogether is to make a game and some realistic drumplaying. Im using RSE to generate sound effects, by the way so it should turn out great for your drum playing too.

Im sure I could add some training to teach some drum techniques too, but mind you I only took Drum lessons for two years a while ago, so I may need some advice on that part of the game.

The tour mode, as I forgot to say also features a map to select a stadium, or concert, in different countries and citys.

I also want to make it in a FPS prespective, so you can see the crowd (Hopefully, dont get your hopes too high, lol). Imagine hooking that up to your TV so you can play with surround, freestyle and an actual drumset (or Rock Band) I hope it satifies XD.
Sounds good. Keep thinking outside the box - the Guitar Hero/Rock Band 'notes-flying-at-you' approach has been done to death, there's now 4 versions of Guitar Hero out and soon to be a Rock Band 2, as well as similar games like Frets on Fire and Unsigned - all the same stuff over and over just with different songs.

Make something unique. There must be a thousand ways to throw the notes on screen for the player to hit in time.

As for 'levels', why restrict the player to gigs? The story mode could have the player being hired by a studio for some session drumming, or have the player attend an audition for a famous band who's lost their drummer. Maybe even a jam back at the band HQ with ladies present - impress them and win a groupie.

And my personal favourite: a DRUM-OFF! Let the players connect two kits up and battle it out beat-boxing championship style! One player plays something freestyle (it records the hits), the second player has to play it back and add to it at the end, and it rotates.

Open it up a little.

EDIT: Spelling. Gets on my nerves.

"The right, man, in the wrong, place, can make all the dif-fer-rence in the world..." - GMan, Half-Life 2

A blog of my SEGA Megadrive development adventures: http://www.bigevilcorporation.co.uk

I like these ideas. I'll attempt to add the Drum Battles, no guarntees on how "intense" they will be. I'll aslo try the gigs thing. Recording studios and tryouts sound pretty good too.

The notes come at you on an overhead angle for something different. It helps you time out "rimshots" and stuff like that time in advance and really plan your session. Players of Rock Band or Guitar Hero will be pleasently suprised to find I "loosened" the note system as well. Make drum rolls very easy to hit, yet feel realistic and dynamic.

My recording mode should be decent as well, altough the saving thing for songs isnt working to well, you will for sure be able to play/replay recordings in the studio (AKA freestyle mode).

The demo (soon to be released!) will contain the complete freestyle mode (of course, there will still be updates now and then) and one tour mode song.

Also, "Songnet" as I call it, will be operational to the full games release, meaning downloadable content on the PC will actually work. The packs will be in patch format, but dont expect to see them for a while.

Avery1555
Sorry, posted it twice XD

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement