Sign in to follow this  

Program Planning

This topic is 3315 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, Hoping you can help with some links or pointers in the right direction. I'm working on my first significant piece of software, having learnt C++ and Darkbasic from books - I'm struggling because I want to plan the code of my game out well in advance ie all the objects/functions I'll need, all the assets, how they will all interact etc and I haven't been able to find any tutorials or sample documents to help me through this. Are there standard techniques and documents used for planning your software? If so, would you have any idea where I could find these? Many thanks in advance, Jim

Your first significant piece of software is going to suck. Organizationally it will be a mess, with things declared as objects that should be classes and things declared as classes that should be modules of functionality. There's really no way around this, even with copious amounts of UML and CRC cards and a design document as thick as a tree. As a beginning programmer, you simply do not have the experiential context necessary to make effective use of standardized software design principles.

Don't worry about it. Program, program, and program some more, and the way in which these things are planned (and why they are that way) will become clearer and more useful. And if by any chance your plan was for your "first significant piece of software" to be your game development masterwork, you need a better plan.

Sneftel is right. You need to go and make a bunch of simple things before you can even think about making anything significant. For the time being just jump right in. You'll learn a lot faster that way and when it comes to planning something bigger you'll actually have some experience to base your plan off of.

This topic is 3315 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.