xml vs c++

Started by
27 comments, last by Sneftel 15 years, 5 months ago
Personally I think xml is better and much easier to use (which is why I am basing my scripting language around it)but I wan't to know what you all think because most of my colleagues dissagree.
Advertisement
Better for what purpose, exactly?
XML and C++ are both languages that involve text files and a fair number of quotation marks and equals signs. The similarities end there. Put differently: What the heck are you talking about? Are you talking about making a scripting language that looks like C++ versus making one that looks like an XML file? Implementing a script engine in C++ versus implementing it in XML, whatever the heck that would mean?
Sorry for the mix up. I am not talking about using them for making a programming language i was just talking about which one you prefer for game development.
Idunno, I always prefer butterfly wings for game development.
Quote:Original post by dkx187
Sorry for the mix up. I am not talking about using them for making a programming language i was just talking about which one you prefer for game development.

Uh huh. Tell me, for eating, do you prefer spoons or pasta?
XML is usually used to represent structured data. Conceptually it would be possible to use XML to represent programs if an external program (an interpreter) were provided which could interpret the XML content as representing computational processes, but this is generally not done. XML is specialized to create some specific application languages, such as MathML and MusicXML, but these, again, are representations of structured data and not processes.

To the extent of my knowledge, there is no system in existence right now that allows the coding of game logic itself in some specialization of XML. The use of XML in game development for the textual representation of resources, such as configuration files, is fairly common, though.

The point is that XML and C++ really are not comparable. With the aid of an interpreter, XML could be specialized to become some sort of pseudo-programming language, perhaps with a syntax similar to that of Lisp (with arrows instead of parentheses [smile]), but this isn't the intended purpose of XML at all. C++, on the other hand, is intended only to represent programs and not data.
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
Quote:Original post by dkx187

Uh huh. Tell me, for eating, do you prefer spoons or pasta?

pasta
Lets not feed the troll. This cant be serious.
--------------------------I present for tribute this haiku:Inane Ravings OfThe Haunting JubilationA Mad Engineer©Copyright 2005 ExtrariusAll Rights Reserved
Quote:Original post by Witchcraven
Lets not feed the troll. This cant be serious.

I don't know if troll is the right term, but I sometimes wonder if someone has succeeded in creating a sufficiently intelligent bot that can log onto gdnet and talk in the lounge about integrating random things into the engine it's making... And if that's the case, then that's awesome. [smile]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement