Sign in to follow this  

[SlimDX] Zoom in and out on a sprite?

This topic is 3318 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Man, I am such a DirectX noob. :( I've laid out a world map which is a collection of tiles, drawn using SlimDX.Direct3D9.Sprite. I can pan my camera around that world by setting the translation in Sprite.Transform to the desired X/Y values. Now I want to zoom in and out using the mouse wheel, so I thought I would just use the wheel input to modulate the Z translation. It's fine as long as the Z value is between 0-1. I can't really tell if I'm getting a zooming effect in that range or not, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. The problem is that as soon as the Z value goes outside the 0-1 range, all the sprites disappear. I thought it might be some default clip plane settings. I tried using Device.SetClipPlane to get something like -100/+100 but it had no effect. I've also tried using Sprite.SetWorldViewLH to establish a zNear/zFar in the view matrix, but still no effect. Am I just doing it wrong (probably)? Or does the Sprite class just enforce a 0-1 clipping range, perhaps to represent z-order rather than an actual world position? If so, then I'm not sure what I would do to implement the zoom in/out... Gah!

What, and do it the simple and obvious way? :P

So I did that, and after a bit of fiddling to make it zoom around the screen center, it works like a charm.

I guess I was over-complicating things because I know in the future I'll probably be adding some non-sprite geometry that's supposed to lay over top of this map and line up with things correctly. But maybe that won't be an issue. I guess I'll handle it when it comes up.

This topic is 3318 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.