Sign in to follow this  

LittleBigPlanets object modelling question

This topic is 3312 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi all, i'm trying to figure out how the guys form Mm has implemented the level constructor form LitteBigPlanet in particular the object modeling (take a look ^^ http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21598.html ). my hypothesis: - some kind of strong boolean algorithm - merged contours and tessellation - metaballs like shapes (Cube, Cylinders, etc...) with negative for boolean like difference - Constructive solid geometry anyone has oder ideas to share ?? thanks in advance for your help. Vinn P.S. I'm basing my ideas only from the tons of video on-line concerning this game, if some one has played the game maybe can make a better hypothesis. P.P.S. forgive me for my bad English ^^

In LBP, all the shapes the player can create are essentially 2-dimensional (even though you do have 3 discrete extrusion depths available). It is relatively easy to implement edge following (polys from bitmap) and boolean operations on 2d shapes. The base material texture is linearly mapped and tile-repeated in xy plane, regardless of material shape or size, so it is trivial to do.

That said, despite its simplicity as compared to "real" game development, I still find LBP's level construction quite fun.

I haven't had the need to write one myself, but the basic algorithm is as follows:

1. Find a point where the absolute derivative (rate of change) of the bitmap is within your desired value treshold.
  2. Seek neighbouring pixels for the same treshold.
  3. Draw a line segment as far as the derivative follows a straight path. Upon encountering a deviation in the values, start a new line segment.
  4. Set the current seek point to the start of the new line segment.
  5. Repeat from step 2 until you have a closed polyline.

In a 1-bit bitmap, the absolute derivative is always either 0 or 1 so the treshold is extremely simply defined.

This topic is 3312 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.