Sign in to follow this  

Platformer Object Management

This topic is 3316 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been working a Plaformer game the past couple months and I have started to think about how to implement objects(Items,Enemies ect.). The game is similar to the old 2d metroid games in that the overall map consists of many smaller segments that are refered to as Sectors. The way I see it, each Sector should have its own set of Objects that get reinitialized everytime the Sector is entered (like enemies, interactable blocks), but there also needs to be Objects that once they are collected or killed once, are gone forever. --One Method-- Every Sector would have two sets of objects. One for objects that get recreated and one for objects that don't. This would require the Save file to contain the current state of all objects that don't need to get recreated so when it is loaded, they will be correct This doesn't seem like that bad of a method, but I was wondering if anyone has any advice or a better solution. I was thinking of an advanced method involving triggers where objects would have a list of conditions that had to be satisfied to be recreated. Then the Save file would only need to store the current state of all the conditions. (A condition would basically just be a switch that could be toggled when certain events happen in the game) This method seemed a little overkill though, but it allow for a much more dynamic world. Opinions and Advice would be much appreciated.

I'm thinking back to super metroid... I think the way they solved this is that when you went into an unexplored room with one of those objects or bosses that didn't regenerate, it locked you in until you got the object or killed the boss. Not only did this force you to fight or make sure you didn't miss something important (allowing them to add a puzzle or something if need be), but it also meant that the only thing you need to save to see if you fought the boss or got the item is whether you already visited the sector or not. Interesting stuff... I never actually thought about it before...

Cheers
-Scott

This topic is 3316 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.