Sign in to follow this  

physics simulation of boxes

This topic is 3316 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys. I have a ton of meshes all o which can have their collision detection described using a hardbox. I'd like to be able to take all these objects and throw them around, pile them up, etc. Now I don't really want to go through the trouble of creating the entire physics simulation, user interaction (throwing). Is there perhaps an API outthere that could do ths for me. Ideally I'd like to use C# (C++ and java would also be ok) and build upon such an API. Any ideas are greatly apreciated. -CProgrammer

It seems it's C++, which is ok I guess. However, does anyone know what exactly the license implies? Can I use it commercially and am I then independent on whether or not they decide to continue the project or not?

-CProgrammer

Quote:
Original post by CProgrammer
It seems it's C++, which is ok I guess. However, does anyone know what exactly the license implies? Can I use it commercially and am I then independent on whether or not they decide to continue the project or not?
It is not open source, if that is what you are asking. It is however free to use (even commercially), as lon as you credit them in the suitable places. Their whole license is only about 30 lines, go to their download page and take a gander.

Quote:
Original post by Adam_42
There's also PhysX which is free, even for commercial use.

If you are using an ATI card thought install System Software 8.04.25 and not version 8.09.04 as it has a bug.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/ageia_8.04.25_whql.html

Hmm, PhysX is very much to my liking. Ive done quite a bit with CUDA.
Thing is im guessing it is complex and I really want nothing more than boxes flying around, and some nice mouse interaction. Ill look into it.

Thanks guys.

-CProgrammer

Quote:
Original post by CmpDev
Quote:
Original post by Adam_42
There's also PhysX which is free, even for commercial use.

If you are using an ATI card thought install System Software 8.04.25 and not version 8.09.04 as it has a bug.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/ageia_8.04.25_whql.html

I think I know what is the bug (some nvcuda.dll error) you are talking about and I am confident that it has nothing to do with ATI. Because I have an nvidia graphics card and I get the bug as well. Nvidia admitted at their forum that there is a bug in the installer (of the physx system software).

The system software version doesn't have to be 8.04.25 to get rid of that bug, 8.06.12 works fine as well.

Was it this post raptor? I assumed it was an ATI error as that is the title of the thread and I have encountered this on an ATI card aswell.

Quote:

Thing is im guessing it is complex and I really want nothing more than boxes flying around, and some nice mouse interaction. Ill look into it.

Have a look at the sample project SampleBoxes.

Bullet is fairly lightweight, open source, uses the BSD license, and somewhat of a C# wrapper. Its also made up of several libraries so you don't have to include what you don't need. The forum is about worthless for questions though so that is something to keep in mind.

Newton is alright but it didn't perform as good as Bullet for me. Also the C sytanx is a real turn off. And while I realize the main author isn't from a English speaking country, his communication skills need some real work. Every post he makes has either typos or basic grammer mistakes. Just does not come off very professional to me.

So now have a great choice on C++ engines. Are there really no C# XNA ones out there? Wrapping a C++ dll is really not that pretty and I'd like to avoid it here. There seem to be a few projects here and there on google but I havent found anything I would consider stable. The fist hit is also 2d only. I'm fine going the C++ route but if its possible to use XNA/C# I think it would benefit this particular project.

This topic is 3316 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.