physics simulation of boxes

Started by
11 comments, last by CProgrammer 15 years, 5 months ago
Hi guys. I have a ton of meshes all o which can have their collision detection described using a hardbox. I'd like to be able to take all these objects and throw them around, pile them up, etc. Now I don't really want to go through the trouble of creating the entire physics simulation, user interaction (throwing). Is there perhaps an API outthere that could do ths for me. Ideally I'd like to use C# (C++ and java would also be ok) and build upon such an API. Any ideas are greatly apreciated. -CProgrammer
Advertisement
Box2D is excellent for that in 2D. For 3D, I might recommend Newton. Both are free.
Construct (Free open-source game creator)
'Newton' looks excellent. I hope it integrates nicely with Managed DirectX or XNA. I'll have a look at it. It sounds like its lightweight which is great.

Any more suggestions?

CProgrammer
It seems it's C++, which is ok I guess. However, does anyone know what exactly the license implies? Can I use it commercially and am I then independent on whether or not they decide to continue the project or not?

-CProgrammer
There's also PhysX which is free, even for commercial use.
Quote:Original post by CProgrammer
It seems it's C++, which is ok I guess. However, does anyone know what exactly the license implies? Can I use it commercially and am I then independent on whether or not they decide to continue the project or not?
It is not open source, if that is what you are asking. It is however free to use (even commercially), as lon as you credit them in the suitable places. Their whole license is only about 30 lines, go to their download page and take a gander.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Quote:Original post by Adam_42

If you are using an ATI card thought install System Software 8.04.25 and not version 8.09.04 as it has a bug.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/ageia_8.04.25_whql.html
Hmm, PhysX is very much to my liking. Ive done quite a bit with CUDA.
Thing is im guessing it is complex and I really want nothing more than boxes flying around, and some nice mouse interaction. Ill look into it.

Thanks guys.

-CProgrammer
Quote:Original post by CmpDev
Quote:Original post by Adam_42

If you are using an ATI card thought install System Software 8.04.25 and not version 8.09.04 as it has a bug.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/ageia_8.04.25_whql.html

I think I know what is the bug (some nvcuda.dll error) you are talking about and I am confident that it has nothing to do with ATI. Because I have an nvidia graphics card and I get the bug as well. Nvidia admitted at their forum that there is a bug in the installer (of the physx system software).

The system software version doesn't have to be 8.04.25 to get rid of that bug, 8.06.12 works fine as well.
Was it this post raptor? I assumed it was an ATI error as that is the title of the thread and I have encountered this on an ATI card aswell.

Quote:
Thing is im guessing it is complex and I really want nothing more than boxes flying around, and some nice mouse interaction. Ill look into it.

Have a look at the sample project SampleBoxes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement