Sign in to follow this  

Video Codecs

This topic is 3313 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My program exports video files. Currently, it does AVI using xVid codec. However, I want users to be supported that don't have xVid installed, and I don't want them to necessarily have to go download it. 1. Where can I find a list of video codecs that come with Windows XP? 2. Is a Codec just a DLL? Is it possible to include the codec files with my program and distribute them? 3. Would using WMV format give me more available codecs that ship with Windows XP?

It depends on a few things. Are you using DirectShow for your program? If you are it will be an *.ax filter. You can't just include any old codec in your program, especially not an official DivX or XVid codec. Although it's simple enough to register a codec using regsvr32 during installation. Different licenses would apply to different codecs just like any other software.

There are programs that can list what codecs you have installed. Get yourself a copy of GraphEdit. You can view a list of codecs and build a graph manually using filters and render that graph. Try running File->Render Media File from GraphEdit and open an avi file and you can see how it contructs a graph and what filters it uses.

It would probably be better to just recommend installing XVid or ffdshow or some other codec pack. I think it would annoy users if you registered your own XVid codec when they are using their own possibly messing up other installed programs that use XVid.

It's unfortunate but true that many programs that use DirectShow have issues with codecs. But it's also true that you shouldn't force a codec onto a user.

Most codecs don't come with Windows XP which is why people install codec packs. If your using WMP or VFW to render videos it's a different story alltogether.

This topic is 3313 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.