Really Good CompSci/Game Development Books?

Started by
1 comment, last by Antheus 15 years, 5 months ago
Hey guys, I've been programming for probably 4 or so years, and I feel I'm just starting to really develop some proficiency in programming. I have been reading a few books recently that cover mostly conceptual topics in computer science or programming. One I really enjoyed was Design Patterns. I have looked through a lot of computer science books and many are too focused on a certain API/Library or simply outdated. I was wondering if anyone on here has any suggestions of good books in the same vein as Design Patterns. By the same vein, I mean books that cover concepts or methods of computer science that aren't simply guides to programming in a certain language. Books that demonstrate concepts in a specific programming language are fine. Thanks in advance for any help with this guys.
Advertisement
Book list and Internet articles

C++ for Games Programmers is one of my personal favourites.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Quote:Original post by mikesobczak

By the same vein, I mean books that cover concepts or methods of computer science that aren't simply guides to programming in a certain language.

Have you tried going to any CS university website and going through their curriculum? They usually list the books they recommend in their courses.

While some language or programming books make brief mention of CS topics they demonstrate, they have next to nothing to do with CS itself.

Quote:One I really enjoyed was Design Patterns

While I still try to remain unbiased, in case of Design Patterns books I'm slowly leaning towards labeling it as crap. Especially due to "design" in title - since it not only has nothing to do with design, but has downright harmful advice.

The main problem with that book is that it presents solutions without clarifying on actual problem. It also has nothing whatsoever to do with computer science, it's a collection of code snippets. Most of them are even horrible overcomplicated for the simple task they do.

I'd label it same way as notorious quote about BASIC. Something that has done more damage to new programmers than anything else.

YMMV. IMHO. Whatever you find interesting. The above is mostly a rant.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement