Sign in to follow this  

Isometrics

This topic is 3314 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

"Hi, everybody!"..."Hi, Dr. Nick!".... little Simpsons joke Anyway, I´m new to game programming but I have quite some experience in software development. I´ve been interested in making a RTS game for quite some time now and all I have up to now is a bunch of ideas and a lot of questions. But here is the most critical, for now: The concept of an isometric game, involves an engine to go along with its "isometry"? In other words, isn´t isometry just a visual effect? Can´t I just have isometric sprites? Some information regarding my situation: - I’m using Flash and ActionScript - I do not intend to use tiles Thanks in advance!

Isometric view is basically a combination of (a) an isometric art style, and (b) an isometric "projection" (how an object's 3D coordinates in the world space are translated into 2D coordinates in screen space). It would be very unusual to try to do this without a tiled background, though. The point of isometric view is to be able to put together a 3D appearance with basic 2D tools (interlocking tiles being one of those); if you don't take advantage of that, you might as well just go straight 3D.

This topic is 3314 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.