Sign in to follow this  

AngelScript Release and debug builds

This topic is 3304 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I tried to build the angelscript in the release and debug build. I found that the release build is bigger than debug build. I just wonder that if it is true or I did something wrong to build release. Is the release build suppose to be smaller than debug build? Thanks

I guess that depends a lot on the optimizations used. For example if you configure the release build to optimize for speed the compiler may decide to inline a lot of the function calls, which can cause the code to grow quite a bit. You may also want to check the linkage, perhaps your debug build is linking with the CRT library as a dll, whereas the release build might be linking with the CRT library statically.

Thanks for the answer.
I post what I found here:

If I turn off the "Whole program optimization" option to no, the release dll will be less than 1M.
If you turn on this, it will be greater than 6M.
:)

The compiler: VS 2008 (VS9)
under release build: C/C++ -> Optimization -> Whole program optimization
Changed from Enable link-time code generation to no, u will get less than 1M library.

Cheers

Quote:
Original post by WitchLord
I guess that depends a lot on the optimizations used. For example if you configure the release build to optimize for speed the compiler may decide to inline a lot of the function calls, which can cause the code to grow quite a bit. You may also want to check the linkage, perhaps your debug build is linking with the CRT library as a dll, whereas the release build might be linking with the CRT library statically.

:)

I have not tried it yet.

Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Original post by B_old
I noticed this too (the big filesize).
dxj19831029:
I suppose you don't notice an noticeable slowdowns with the smaller library?

This topic is 3304 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.