AngelScript Release and debug builds

Started by
3 comments, last by dxj19831029 15 years, 4 months ago
Hi, I tried to build the angelscript in the release and debug build. I found that the release build is bigger than debug build. I just wonder that if it is true or I did something wrong to build release. Is the release build suppose to be smaller than debug build? Thanks
Advertisement
I guess that depends a lot on the optimizations used. For example if you configure the release build to optimize for speed the compiler may decide to inline a lot of the function calls, which can cause the code to grow quite a bit. You may also want to check the linkage, perhaps your debug build is linking with the CRT library as a dll, whereas the release build might be linking with the CRT library statically.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Thanks for the answer.
I post what I found here:

If I turn off the "Whole program optimization" option to no, the release dll will be less than 1M.
If you turn on this, it will be greater than 6M.
:)

The compiler: VS 2008 (VS9)
under release build: C/C++ -> Optimization -> Whole program optimization
Changed from Enable link-time code generation to no, u will get less than 1M library.

Cheers

Quote:Original post by WitchLord
I guess that depends a lot on the optimizations used. For example if you configure the release build to optimize for speed the compiler may decide to inline a lot of the function calls, which can cause the code to grow quite a bit. You may also want to check the linkage, perhaps your debug build is linking with the CRT library as a dll, whereas the release build might be linking with the CRT library statically.

I noticed this too (the big filesize).
dxj19831029:
I suppose you don't notice an noticeable slowdowns with the smaller library?
:)

I have not tried it yet.

Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:Original post by B_old
I noticed this too (the big filesize).
dxj19831029:
I suppose you don't notice an noticeable slowdowns with the smaller library?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement