• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
parmar

OpenGL Question on Efficient use of VRML file

This topic is 3620 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi List, I have a vrml file of all my model,which i have to render in OpenGL ES 2. we have some animation data also.I wanted to know that,which is the best way to take data from VRML file and give it to OPenGL pipeline.Our data is very huge for every model. Plaese help me if nay one know on this topic. Regards, Parmar. [Edited by - parmar on November 19, 2008 11:26:31 PM]

Advertisement
Hi Parmar

You need to understand the VRML file format first. Then you gotta write a parser for that. Basically it works the same way with all 3D files irrespective of format. OpenGL does not bother about how you are going to load the data. I have not used VRML files till now but have used 3ds, obj, md2, md3 files. What I did was that read the entire file at once and use the data for rendering (you may have to consider time, if the model has to be animated !!)

Hope this helps you.

Thanks KumGame07 for replying

One more thing i want to ask that,i have a two option now
either we can read model data(VertexBuffer,IndexBuffer,TexCoord,
normal) from file or we can dump all data in header file and
where ever its required just add that header file.Which one will
be more efficient.
Regards,
Parmar.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!